finding dead deer

huntingthebig1

finding dead deer

Postby huntingthebig1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:58 am

I am disturbed Are the hunters that start hunting not finishung the task?  I have found 5 dead bucks on the properties that I hunt.  These are not ordinary bucks check out the photo.  All seem to have been shot and not found until I did. 1 the hunter never left his stand to check. There was no indication that he went to looked in the snow.  Com on guess I don't mind finding these bucks but it seems such a waste.

hunthard

Everyday Hunter

RE: finding dead deer

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:19 am

ORIGINAL: huntingthebig1

I have found 5 dead bucks on the properties that I hunt...  Com on guess I don't mind finding these bucks but it seems such a waste.

Wow! Yes, that is disturbing. But I'm glad you found them. I haven't found that many unrecovered bucks in my life -- and none that big!

BTW, welcome to the D&DH forums.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:25 am

Could they have succumb to the EHD outbreak? Don't doubt, but just bring up another possibility. EHD counties were disclosed in the Annual Deer Harvest report on DNR's website.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 am

Back around 1990 I found about five dead ones all within a few hundred acre area.  I suspected road shooters, but who knows. None were as big as the ones pictured above, but still leaves a bad feeling for the next few years. 

huntingthebig1

Postby huntingthebig1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:50 am

I know that 3 of the bucks where shot by local hunters now but never found. The other 2 I can not say as I found them after the body had decomposed. The pictured buck was shot with a broad head in the left hip he must have died a painful death.  Bad thing about it was he died in front of the trail cam that I didn't reset correctly. I could have had is last dieing seconds on film.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:00 am

That is sad.

It does happen unfortunately. I practice almost every day with my bow, and practice shot placement specifically. I have had one unrecovered buck in 3 to 4 seasons of bowhunting. I am pretty sure I saw him the next day after the shot, up and running, but not sure. I hope it was him anyway.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Return to Indiana