Iowa Giants....

JPH

RE: Iowa Giants....

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:13 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

I got that pic in a email as well, said it was from Iowa but thats all I've heard. I'm thinking a world record contender would be a little more known but I've been wrong many times before.....
I agree though that Iowa has been lighting the deer world up!

JPH-Have you noticed a difference in the caliber of deer being taken since you started hunting and if so what has happened?

Large tracts of land, qdm, hunting pressure??????????

Yes, it has gotten better since I started in the mid-80's.

For one thing the population has exploded. I remember when you had to draw for an any-sex tag. Most gun hunts were conducted in big drives and small bucks were hunted heavily.

Today a lot of big farms are gone and a lot of ground is being managed. You really see few yearling bucks being killed these days. Doe tags are plentiful and many hunters have chosen to hold for older bucks.

BUT don't ignore the fact that A LOT of things have changed to make today's big bucks more visible. Guys used to show off their deer to their neighbors, then cut the rack off and nail it to a barn board. Today the internet has these big deer all over the country before they've even been processed.

IMO, the quality of the herd has improved without question, but not as much as the hype might lead you to think.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:34 pm

IMO, the quality of the herd has improved without question, but not as much as the hype might lead you to think.

I think it's safe to say that is the case in alot of states.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:11 pm

You really see few yearling bucks being killed these days. many hunters have chosen to hold for older bucks.

I wish I could say the same about the area I hunt, I really do!!  Unfortunatly, most of the bucks killed here (by hunters) are still wearing their first set of antles![:(]

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Yeah aint it the truth paulie? Thats great that hunters are regularly passing on yearlings in iowa, you guys have some monsters out there and i envy that, i wish i could say the same for michigan i think i read 60 some percent of all bucks taken here are 1.5 yrs old, kinda sucks [:'(] but hey all we can do is our part if we want to see em grow, we cant control what other people do when they have the chance to shoot one. And i cant say i blame em if they decide to in fact shoot the deer, if you don't shoot the deer chances are the next guy will.  
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:55 am

From the QDM report- Percent of 1.5's killed out of all bucks killed.   WI-51%, MI,NJ,NY were tied for leading the nation with 63%.
Couldn't find any statistics on Iowa...
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:26 pm

63%, thanks Goose i thought it was something in the 60 percent range, i need to save that QDM report. It was a great read!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:24 am

WOW those are all great deer! I hear Iowa is one of the best states to hunt.. I really should try and get somthing together and make the trip over there.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:10 am

I'd highly recommend everyone go to Iowa and hunt...Actually just pick up and move there that'd be even better! :)  JPH would welcome you with open arms!
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:18 am

Can we get this thread deleted?

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:24 am

No I don't think so...I really like it.  Adds some diversification to the forum!!!!  [;)]
QDM!

Previous

Return to Iowa