Broadhead Weight

Legnip

Broadhead Weight

Postby Legnip » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:10 am

In recent years we've see an obsession with speed bows and making our arrows as light as possible. Broadhead have shrunk to sub 100 grain weights. The 100 grain seems to be the most popular seller and easiest to find. A smaller broadhead are reduces the FOC for the arrows that we shoot, and arrows out past 25 yards will fly a little more eratic. Some manufacturers recommend 150 grain broad heads with their bows. They are OK with a lighter broadhead, if you're OK with less accuracy.

Has anyone noticed a difference in how their broadheads group past 25 yards?
From those who much is given, much is expected

Marc Anthony

RE: Broadhead Weight

Postby Marc Anthony » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:09 am

ORIGINAL: Legnip

In recent years we've see an obsession with speed bows and making our arrows as light as possible. Broadhead have shrunk to sub 100 grain weights. The 100 grain seems to be the most popular seller and easiest to find. A smaller broadhead are reduces the FOC for the arrows that we shoot, and arrows out past 25 yards will fly a little more eratic. Some manufacturers recommend 150 grain broad heads with their bows. They are OK with a lighter broadhead, if you're OK with less accuracy.

Has anyone noticed a difference in how their broadheads group past 25 yards?

IMO, this speed thing has gotten out of hand. Don't get me wrong, speed is great when shooting arrows but too many hunters are going after the speed rather than the accuracy. There really is a trade off. Flinging arrows as fast as they can possibly fly might be a neat thing in itself but when you add hunting to the equation, accuracy and knock down are everything.

I have been shooting 125 grain broadheads, Muzzy's particularly, for decades simply because of the fact that mass carries energy longer. I sacrifice a little bit of speed for a great deal of knock down power. Kill a few bucks with 100 gr. broadheads and then kill a few with 125's and see if you notice a difference. 125's punch through, hit harder and carry energy farther. I'll never drop down to 100's again when hunting big game.

I hope I didn't get too far off the subject but accuracy and knock down power are 2 critical areas that can't be sacrificed when hunting.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:16 pm

I love the Muzzy 4-blade too. Some of the mechanical broadhead manufacturers are starting to make heavier mechanical broadheads for crossbows. NAP Spitfire makes a Magnum that is 170 grains. Hopefully Rage will come out with a 150 grain mechanical.
From those who much is given, much is expected

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:18 am

I have always used 125's and I don't think i'll be changing any time soon. I hunt from stands and have pass through shots most of the time. Nothing makes tracking easier than a bottom exit hole.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:08 pm

I don't notice any changes of broadhead groups past 25 yards.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:23 pm

With a projectile who's lethality comes from shock due to blood loss, which is based on the amount of penetration it gets into the vitals of an animal, the fact is that it's NOT the speed with which a broadhead kills a deer....it's MASS.

I've always shot 125 grains, and I'm looking to go to 150's with my new recurve set up.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:37 pm

when i shot aluminum arrows i used 125's when i switched to lighter carbon shaft i also switched to 100's i have not noticed any difference in my groups i normally dont shhot past 25 yrds but when i do it remains the same
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Return to Broadheads