Anyone a member of QDM?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
DeerCamp

Anyone a member of QDM?

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:44 pm

I came across their website, found it very useful! I found that you can join up with them, has anyone here done that? What all do you get by doing so? I also found the store VERY CHEAP! LOL I just got me some sweet stickers, a deer map, and a tin sign.. Just wondering if anyone had signed up with them or not, Im thinking of doing so but just thought Id get some input first.
http://www.qdma.com/qdm/
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

RE: Anyone a member of QDM?

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:01 pm

I have been to the site a few times, haven't joined, have thought about it though, the site is indeed very useful! I'm sure it won't be long before i end up signing up [:D] love the site and would love to start getting the mag!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:05 pm

I dont know. I dont own any real property and being in QDM without having property or a lease seems like being in a motorcycle gang and not having a bike.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:46 pm

I've been a member for a couple years and love their site and mag. I also get a email every month with the latest news.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm not a member but should be...Goose, how much do you pay by chance?  I go on their website quite a bit and have always thought of it I guess.  Lots of great info!  I watch their show 'Quality Whitetails' every week!
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:17 am

It's $30 for 1 year which is probably a little on the steep side considering the mag is bi monthly but it is packed with tons of useful and scientific information. If you want hunting tips I don't recommend it but if you want to learn about deer behavior and land management it is a great and reputable source.
I'm gonna cut back on subscriptions when they come due but I will keep D&DH and QDMA.
As stated earlier they do have some good deals on gear like cuddeback and others for members.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:31 am

Okay, this brings a couple of my pet peeves to the surface.

One, QDM is a set of conservation principals, not a group. The QDMA is what we are talking about here. I know that was what was intended, but it speaks to a common misconception. You do not have to belong to a club to believe in or participate in QDM.

Two, you do not need to own land to apply many of the principals of QDM. Obviously, you can do more when you own the place. But a hunter or a group of hunters can educate themselves, commit themselves to a new harvest strategy, and often make habitat improvements on land they do not own.

Now to answer the question. I did once belong to the QDMA but I let it expire. When I was a member, I only participated to the extent that I posted on the message board and read the magazine. The reason I let my membership slid was that I began to feel that a lot of the traffic on the board and most of the articles were over my head or out of my price range. I did not disagree with anything, I just did not feel that I was getting my $30 worth.

I dunno. I may rejoin, I may not. 

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 am

I have been a member of QDMA (that one's for you JPH) for a few years now. I was the branch president in my area for a while. I have learned a lot for their forum and the magazines. You are right JPH, the forum chats are quite advanced, but most of the people on there are willing to explain them to you if you ask. I can honestly say that I have gotten a lot out of the organization and believe in what they do. That in it's self is worth the $30.

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:49 am

Have never been a member. They do have some good information but the problem I have in general is that it basically caters to people who own lots of land. Yes the concept and group are two different things but if you look at their underwriters it is mostly big logging outfits machinery dealers etc that would appeal to the guy who has too much time and money on his hands. You really don't get much for your 30 bucks other than six copies of a magazine. Deer & Deer is a much better value IMO.

Stump

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:04 am

I have been a member of QDMA for about 4 years and really enjoy it.  I believe QDMA has over 50,000 members in the US & Canada.  I do not own my own land, but hunt a 350 acre property in Upstate NY with about 10 other hunters. Although there are a lot of misconception about QDM, the other hunters have bought into some of the QDM concepts very gradually.  The key to getting experienced hunters to buy into QDM is show them that it can lead to "Better Deer. Better Deer Hunting." (QDMA moto). Another key to establishing a QDM program is to realize that all properties are different, so pick & choose and adapt those concepts that make sense to your situation. 
I particularly like QDMA's REACH (Research, Educate, Advocate, Certify and Hunt) Program.  REACH is a national education and outreach program that benefits hunters, landowners and deer managers in several ways.   Check REACH out on their website.
I have been involved in their Certification and Hunt/Mentoring programs.  The Certification Program program includes three levels of achievement: [ul][*]Deer Steward I will provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the key principles of deer and habitat biology, ecology and management.
[*]Deer Steward II will teach students how to apply the principles learned in level one through hands-on and field experience.
[*]Deer Steward III, the most prestigious, must be earned through an individual's long-term service to QDMA, and/or the white-tailed deer.[/ul]I have completed DS I & II and am looking forward to start DS III as soon as the criteria is established.  Although the courses are expensive, $750/course, if you want to know more about deer behavior and want to better understand how to achieve "Better Deer. Better Deer Hunting", these courses will help you do that.   Course instructors are well qualified & top notch with many-many years experience in the field. 
Lastly, in my opinion, QDMA's "Quality Whitetails" magazine (6/year) is worth the $30 annual fee.  Tom Mac
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management