Gun laws in Indiana

Wanderer

Gun laws in Indiana

Postby Wanderer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:11 am

I'm new to the area. I can find no reference in Indiana game regulations regarding carrying weapons in my vehicle. Do they need to be unloaded and in a case ,or could I just pop the shells out and toss them on the back seat? My fear is that I may unintentionially break a law and lose hunting privileges over it. I've also never seen any rules regarding carrying a weapon within "X" feet of a road. In some other states, you cannot even load the weapon until you're 50 feet off of a road.

John1961

RE: Gun laws in Indiana

Postby John1961 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:39 am

My self I never carry a loader weapon in my pick up. I would check the DNR regs online. They also have the 08 - 09 hunting regs on there site as well. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:28 am

I am not sure of the exact rules and regs.

I would contact the local sheriffs department and ask.

I am assuming you mean to carry rifle in pick-up even in off hunting season? 
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:35 am

8uck5nort,
I have a lifetime concealed carry permit for Indiana, so I don't worry much about carrying my handguns. I'm more concerned that I'll screw up when hauling my muzzle loader or shotgun to my hunt area. I grew up in Wisconsin and there you have to be unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. I know people in Wis who got arrested for leaning an unloaded gun up against their car while they took off hunting clothes. When I lived in Alabama, everyone just unloaded the guns and set them on the back seat. I'd just like to know what is required by law so that I don't break a law by accident. Indiana hunting regs are very specific in some areas (they tell you that it's OK to use decoys for deer hunting)
They even list the max and min cartridge case lengths for rifles shooting pistol cartridges. They list what calibers are legal to use on deer and what calibers aren't legal. But there is absolutely no reference to carrying firearms in a vehicle (other than the reference to having to be cased and empty on an ATV).

UncleNorby

Postby UncleNorby » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:35 am

I don't know the exact wording of the law either. Don't need a case for long guns as far as I know. I never have a loaded gun in my vehicle. I load once I get out of the vehicle and out of the road right-of-way. I also don't lean a loaded gun on a vehicle. I don't beleive there is anything wrong with leaning an unloaded gun on a vehicle. You could call a CO, you can find contact info on the DNR webiste.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 am

ORIGINAL: Wanderer

8uck5nort,
I have a lifetime concealed carry permit for Indiana, so I don't worry much about carrying my handguns. I'm more concerned that I'll screw up when hauling my muzzle loader or shotgun to my hunt area. I grew up in Wisconsin and there you have to be unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. I know people in Wis who got arrested for leaning an unloaded gun up against their car while they took off hunting clothes. When I lived in Alabama, everyone just unloaded the guns and set them on the back seat. I'd just like to know what is required by law so that I don't break a law by accident. Indiana hunting regs are very specific in some areas (they tell you that it's OK to use decoys for deer hunting)
They even list the max and min cartridge case lengths for rifles shooting pistol cartridges. They list what calibers are legal to use on deer and what calibers aren't legal. But there is absolutely no reference to carrying firearms in a vehicle (other than the reference to having to be cased and empty on an ATV).

sorry for the late response.

I hunt with a muzzleloader as well, and it is my understanding from the Hunting Ed clase You can load your powder and bullet, but not have a primer in the weapon until you are in stand and only during legal hunting hours. That is the only condition for MLs I am aware of.

This was take n directly from the 2008-2009 Inidana Hunting Guide

"[font=itcgaramondstd-bknarrow][font=itcgaramondstd-bknarrow][size=1]Legal hunting hours for all deer seasons are
[left]from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half[/left][left]hour after sunset. A muzzleloading firearm may[/left][left]be possessed in the field before and after legal[/left][left]hunting hours as long as the percussion cap[/left][left]has been removed from the nipple, in the case[/left][left]of percussion arms, or the pan is not primed, in[/left][left]the case of flintlock arms. A long bow, crossbow[/left][left]or compound bow may be possessed in the field[/left][left]before and after legal hunting hours only if[/left][left]the nock of the arrow is not placed on the bow[/left]string."
[/font][/size][/font]

Shotgun and rifle possession isn't really spelled out as clearly, but I would not have them loaded until you get into your stand if you arrive before legal shooting time. I would also unload them when legal shooting hours expire before getting down from stand. Other than that I have never heard of anyone being harrassed, around here anyway, becasue they have an unloaded gun in their possession. My grandfather carried a shotgun in a truck rack for years in plain sight and no one ever said anything to him. 
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Hoosierbuck

Postby Hoosierbuck » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:31 am

There are no laws regarding what the status of the weapon MUST be while in your vehicle.  Safety would dictate that unloaded would be best.  Just make sure that before and after legal shooting hours, while in the field, the gun is unloaded, and for the ML that only means no cap on the nipple/powder in the pan.

Any other questions?

HB

Madog

Postby Madog » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Well for starters.... Indiana doesn't have a CCW permit... it is a handgun permit.... Indiana allows you to carry your handgun either Concealed or Open carry your choice..... Most people prefer Concealed....

On the Rifle Indiana doesn't has laws against carry a rifle or shotgun.... Out side of Hunting season the State is silent on the right to carry a rifle or shotgun.... Like many states... IE. Arizona.... allows you to carry a Rifle in plain site as does Indiana outside of hunting season.... I've never seen anyone do it in Town, but out in the Country yes..... but its not normal.... to see.

HOWEVER it is your Right as a Citizen of Indiana to exercise it within the law as you see fit.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:20 am

Madog,
I agree, my license says "License to Carry Handgun". But the Fulton County Sheriffs Department told me I cannot carry openly. I checked with the USACarry website and they also state "no open carry" http://www.usacarry.com/indiana_conceal ... ation.html
Where are you finding information on open carry?

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:25 am

The lines are very blurred on the issue of placing a loaded shotgun in your vehicle (after hunting).   A Conservation Officer's authority to search/detain/come onto a persons property begins when it appears that a person is engaged in hunting/fishing.  So, if you appear to be hunting and have a loaded gun in your vehicle, then it may appear that you are using your vehicle to hunt.  So, it is not a good idea.

Return to Indiana