What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby JPH » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:05 am

I totally understand and respect what you guys are saying, but I think my comparison is fair. Most causal runners pattern their training off of distance runners. "Low and slow" seems to be the mantra of most joggers and they end up with undeveloped muscles and are consequently in poor overall shape.

Yes, I agree that the marathon example is extreme, but lets face it, most top-end milers are pretty weak as well. Now if we want to talk about decathletes, I am with you, but they do a lot more than running.

That is really all I am saying here. Running alone is a poor way to achieve GPP, but so is strict 5X5 power lifting. The key, IMO, is variety. That is why I used the MMA fighter as an example. Combat athletes are some of the most well conditioned people in the world. They understand that too much focus in one area will leave you weak in another. Given a coice between hunting with an olympic class 5000m runner or a Navy SEAL, I'll take the SEAL. He is going to have enough juce to help me drag my deer. 

Again, I want people to do what works for them. I cannot say that enough. Running can be a lot of fun and if you like it, you will be in better shape because of it. Same goes for power lifting, hockey, maybe even golf. So few people exercise that I am not about to be critical of anyone who is doing something.

Great discussion!

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi DoeEyed.
I get what JPH is driving at. He wants you to run/jog, but in addition to this he wants you to include some resistance/strength training as well. In this manner you would have an overall approach to not only increasing aerobic strength and endurance, but muscular strength and power as well.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Seals!? Now your talking. I've known a few of them and have done some ops with some others.
Back in the day, there was a seal in the an OCS class behind the one I was in. The DIs couldn't break
him physically and they knew. It was impressive to see the DIs throw every type of PT possible at this guy.
He'd just do what they'd ask, grinning the entire time. Drove the DIs crazy.Image

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:37 pm

ORIGINAL: MSHunter

Hi DoeEyed.
I get what JPH is driving at. He wants you to run/jog, but in addition to this he wants you to include some resistance/strength training as well. In this manner you would have an overall approach to not only increasing aerobic strength and endurance, but muscular strength and power as well.

Yep, I agree this is the best way to go. It will give me the results I'm looking for. General physical preparedness, I think he called it. Thanks JPH and the rest of you.[:)]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Cool, just so long as you understand I don't really want you to do one thing vs. another. I'm just offering my perspective. I really look forward to your continued posts on the subject. Please follow up.

BTW, I really do not want to run that 5K race tomorrow.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:46 am

ORIGINAL: JPH
BTW, I really do not want to run that 5K race tomorrow.

23 minutes. Not competitive but acceptable given that I did not train.

I'm putting this out there to hold myself accountable. My goal is to run a sub-20 minute 5K in August.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi DoeEyed,
Just curious, have you started doing any cardio workouts?

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi MSHunter,

Have'nt started yet. Was going to start this last Monday but feeling a bit under the weather so will be starting next Monday. Thanks for asking!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:13 am

Just remember, the first workout is not the hardest, the second one is! That is when you are sore and it is easy to tell yourself that you should rest another day. Fight that off one day at a time and you'll be hooked before you know it.

Wishing you the best. Don't rule out the MMA idea either [;)]

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:27 am

JPH,
23 minutes for a 5K without training! That's pretty good. There are a lot of people who couldn't do that (myself included, in fact I don't know if I could run that fast even with training).

DoeEyed,
JPH is correct. The 2nd day is the hardest, but if you make the commitment and put a jog/run in daily, in about 2/3 weeks it'll be second nature.

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness