GOT (chocolate) MILK?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Sailfish

GOT (chocolate) MILK?

Postby Sailfish » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:35 am

I am sure many are gonna love this!!

Why Chocolate Milk?
ImageChocolate milk is an ideal post-workout beverage because every serving contains the nutrition needed to promote effective recovery after exercise. These nutrients include carbohydrates to refuel muscles; protein to reduce muscle breakdown and stimulate growth; and fluid and electrolytes to replenish what is lost in sweat and to rehydrate the body.
When do I refuel?
[ul][*]Drink 16 ounces of chocolate milk within 30 minutes of completing your workout, practice or competition.
[*]Refuel with chocolate milk between double training sessions and closely scheduled competitions.
[*]Include chocolate milk in your daily diet. Good nutrition can make a big difference in your performance. [/ul]
Chocolate Milk Contains…
[ul][*]90 percent water, which helps replace fluids and rehydrate the body.
[*]Calcium, Vitamin D and phosphorus to help promote, maintain and build strong bones.
[*]Protein to reduce muscle breakdown.
[*]Carbohydrates to fuel muscles during exercise and help muscles recover after exercise.
[*]Potassium which helps with fluid and mineral balance and muscle contraction.
[*]B vitamins that help convert food to energy to fuel working muscles. [/ul]
ImageChocolate milk contains carbohydrates and protein that are important for an athlete's health. From bone building to muscle strengthening, the nutrients in chocolate milk provide a variety of positive health benefits. A study in the British Journal of Nutrition showed that low-fat milk was more effective than water or a carbohydrate fluid replacement drink at replacing fluid and maintaining hydration post-exercise. Most adults don't realize their bones continue to grow until about the age of 35. In addition to being a great sports drink, milk can help prevent osteoporosis.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

MHHC S. IL

RE: GOT (chocolate) MILK?

Postby MHHC S. IL » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:01 am

Agreed that you need protein and carbs immediately following a workout.  A scoop of whey protein in water and a piece of fruit can provide about 50% more protein and a better source of carbs than the high amount of sugar in chocolate milk, all for about the same amount of calories than 16 ounces of fat free chocolate milk.

Also, if you can't find fat free chocolate milk, it is very high in saturated fat which is unhealthy by anyone's standards.
LIVE AT FULL DRAW

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:12 am

ORIGINAL: MHHC S. IL

Agreed that you need protein and carbs immediately following a workout.  A scoop of whey protein in water and a piece of fruit can provide about 50% more protein and a better source of carbs than the high amount of sugar in chocolate milk, all for about the same amount of calories than 16 ounces of fat free chocolate milk.

Also, if you can't find fat free chocolate milk, it is very high in saturated fat which is unhealthy by anyone's standards.

While very true about whey protein and I did this when I was younger, it's hard to blame buying whey protein on my son.  Now I can say, momma, our little boy deserves chocolate milk.  He's been a good boy.....  I still get yelled at for drinking all of it but what are you gonna do??  Plus c.milk is cheaper the protein powder and family can enjoy.  You could make the arguement about the consuption rate vs cost but my ignorance is bliss at the moment.....

Good thread.

Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:26 am

I on average drink about 2 cups of choc milk a day. I always figured choc milk is better than no milk. Am I wrong?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:31 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I on average drink about 2 cups of choc milk a day. I always figured choc milk is better than no milk. Am I wrong?

Plus it keeps the brown chocolate cows busy.  If not for chocolate milk, they would just go wandering about the country side aimlessly.

In-laws are dairy farmers so we have a lot of fun with them.  Just don't drink the strawberry milk if it's still in the bulk tank!!!!

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:44 am

Thats not funny, I always believed that as a kid![:D]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 am

guys be careful with the Whey protein.  A few years back my father started working out religiously after he had a bunch of back problems.  he started taking Whey protein shakes in the morning and evening.  After being on Whey for six months he had a severe problem with Gout.  before being on the Whey he had never had any flare ups and to be honest didn't even know what Gout was.  His doctor told him the Whey  had a major part in the flare-ups and had he not taken the heavy doses of protein at his age he probably would have gone through life without ever having a reaction.  he now has to take pills every day to keep this thing under control.  just an FYI. 

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:09 am

Don't wanna derail the milk thread much, but the whey protein thing is a tough call. There are studies that say whey protein actually helps!*

Gout is a funny thing. 1 in 4 people get it. It is genetic. Alcohol and Fatty foods can exacerbate or bring it on.

One of the bigger issues are the consumption of animal proteins which are loaded with purines**.

Really the key has been mentioned in the Health section often. Balance. Balance in your diet, life, exercise etc. After that your at the mercy of nature and your mom and dad.

*Whey Protein and Gout
Studies have shown that whey protein is a great substance for the body and helps it heel quickly. With the gout illness, you can consume whey proteins to quickly rid your body of gout. Although there is no true cure for gout, whey protein can help with the symptoms and flare-ups. Your immune system is boosted to a point where it can beat the gout easier.
Research on Whey Protein
Scientists are still searching for a way to cure gout and with the promising results of whey proteins, the discovery may be close by. Since there is a way to successfully help gout symptoms and clear out the infection temporarily, there may be a way to cure gout forever.

** a crystalline base C5H4N4 that is the parent of compounds of the uric-acid group
{uric acid are the crystals that get in your gout joints and cause all that dagburn pain}

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:17 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

I am sure many are gonna love this!!

Why Chocolate Milk?

I have a sad admission to make and keep us on task.  A good friend of mine works for Nestle - he has yet to turn up any indicators that "umpa lumpas" work there or there is a river made of chocolate.  Sorry guys, he is still looking though.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:29 am

Interesting stuff.  I rarely drink milk anymore. 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness