Shed hunting

gunther89

RE: Shed Hunting

Postby gunther89 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:44 pm

Went shed hunting for about an hour and didn't find any but on Saturday afternoon or April 4th there were 9 deer out in a winter wheat field and the one was a good buck that had his left antler still attached.  Latest I have ever seen them attached around our farm.
Scott

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Yeah I would think that is pretty rare! I too have seen alot of deer out in the fields feeding.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:14 pm

Found 2 sheds today and 4 yesterday. I know the pair I found Saturday are recent casts as we were in that field last weekend and they weren't there.  Still a few reports of people seeing bucks with horns. Next weekend youth turkey hunt starts and then 6 weeks of regular turkey hunting so shed finding from here on in will be mostly by accident. Turkey hunters in Central Wis beware, ticks are REALLY REALLY bad!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:18 pm

I shed hunted today until my eyeballs were dragging on the ground, and found nothing. I have two more places I want to hunt plus one I want to get back to, but don't know if I'll get to them.

My tally for the spring isn't impressive: 1 antler (small with 4 points) and one old piece of an antler (section of a main beam with part of a point.)

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 am

I've put in more time this year than ever....no luck.  All the time spent was well worth it though!

A day in the woods is better than most days anywere else.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:58 pm

I was out for about an hour this morning. I found a small antler that was attached to a piece of a skull. I carried it with me for a while, but it was near where the Game Commission used to have a pit where they'd dump road kills. I thought it was probably from there, and might be illegal to take it, so I left it in the woods. '

I have one or two more places I want to look if I get the time.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:03 pm

At least you found a few and spending time out in the woods is never a bad thing, right? I've got a few more places to check myself. Maybe I'll get lucky. It sure beats the heck out of doing housework[:'(]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Found another shed today.  I was mushroom hunting and happened to spot it laying on top of some dirt.  The squirrels had gotten to it.  The genetics for our 1.5 year old's must be a 3 point side as this is all we have found this year and found 1 like that last year as well.  

Scott

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon May 11, 2009 3:58 am

Congrats Gunther! Do you ever come out of the woods?![;)]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:03 am

Congrats!  I agree with Goose...You sure seem to spend every waking minute in the woods, which is great and I'm truly jealous!!!!! 
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Florida