Antler restrictions in works for 2010

Ben Sobieck

Antler restrictions in works for 2010

Postby Ben Sobieck » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:23 am

Source: Rochester Post-Bulletin

In the future, when bluffland deer hunters see a buck, they might need to take a deep breath and count to four.

It's possible they will have to make sure the buck has at least four one-inch tines on one side before they can shoot. That management method became the de facto focus of a day-long deer-hunting roundtable Friday in Rochester.

Bluffland Whitetails Association organized the gathering of top Department of Natural Resources wildlife managers, deer-hunter groups and experts from three other states. BWA and several other groups say they are seeing too few big bucks and want a better chance to shoot one some day. Just knowing more big bucks are in the woods would make the hunt more enjoyable, and maybe keep more people hunting.

Continue reading here

Patriot

RE: Antler restrictions in works for 2010

Postby Patriot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 am

At this point in my hunting career I would definitely support this.  I'm tired of guys pounding the 1.5 year olds.  It would be nice if they gave exceptions to newer hunters.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:50 am

I wish that Michigan would do this.. I like how they have done it in the UP.. It would deff put Michigan back on the big buck map.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:08 am

Ben Sobieck,
First let me say that I support letting young bucks walk. I've passed as many as 17 in a single season and ended up eating a tag. I've also shot my share of yearlings during my early hunting years when Wisconsin's buck take was primarily yearlings. I'm trying to play devil's advocate here. Four points on a side is fine if your local deer herd is prone to brow tines. Hunting near Sprott Alabama, we find most bucks don't have brow tines or they are merely small bumps. Wouldn't the four point on a side rule cause hunters to take out the deer that have a genetic disposition toward brow tines? I've often seen young deer that would meet the four point rule but were obviously yearlings. We've also collected some decent bucks that would never meet the four point rule.Attached is a picture of a 15 year old guest that took his first deer ever on our lease. No brow tines would make this deer illegal under the four point rule. The other picture is a yearling basket rack from the 70's in Wisconsin. It doesn't even make 8 inches wide but it would be legal under four point rule.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:31 am

Very valid points Wanderer.  Maybe they could add a clause that would make it legal to shoot a buck with 4 points on one side or have a minimum 13 inch spread.

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Fri May 15, 2009 6:06 pm

I think it is great, I don't think any restriction would be perfect, but it is a start in the right direction! We can't ask a buck to hold still while we measure his inside spread. :-)
I am getting tired of only seeing yearlings (mostly). I do hope they put a waiver on younger hunters though.

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:19 am

I agree with the smaller bucks for younger, possibly 18 and younger, huntiners but when I was 27 I shot my 1st deer and it was a spike[:D]. No big deal to most people but this was my first deer and I could not be more happy about an average sized deer with spikes. I was so excited that my girlfriend, wife now, kept asking me if I was OK. I also understand that this would be extremly hard to enforce though.
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

ATedrow

Postby ATedrow » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:39 am

I love this idea. I wish Indiana would implement this policy. I am from the southern part of the state and people form up in Indy come down to my neck of the woods and constantly kill 1.5 year old deer. I am not against the city folk coming down and hunting. I just wish they would have a little more common sense in the matter. I see no problem with kids 17 and younger who get to participate in our state youth hunt killing a small buck. Everybody needs to start someplace I understand but common sense will help our deer herds.  

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:49 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

At this point in my hunting career I would definitely support this.  I'm tired of guys pounding the 1.5 year olds.  It would be nice if they gave exceptions to newer hunters.

I feel like I should backtrack just a little bit.  My feeling on shooting 1.5 year olds is this.  This is based strictly on my situation.  Because I can't run out my backdoor and hunt whenever I want to, I will shoot a 1.5 year old if given the chance.  I would then pass up additional 1.5's for the rest of the season.  This way, I get meat in the freezer, taste the success of the kill, yet leave some 1.5's for the next season.

Maybe they could apply the law to gun hunters only. 

Let's keep the dialog going.  What are your thoughts?

MI_bowhunter

Postby MI_bowhunter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:09 am

I would love to see something like this implemented in Michigan.  I like the idea of only applying an antler restriction to gun hunting, which here in Michigan is when most of the 1.5 year old bucks are harvested.  However, I have introduced a few of my friends to the world of hunting and pray a 4 point walks in front of them opening day of rifle season!!  Not because I want a young buck taken, but that I want these guys to experience harvesting a buck.  So implementing an age limit isn't really fair in this regard since they were not exposed to hunting until their 20's.  Regardless, I'm still all for this rule because in 3-4 years I would be praying for an 8 or 10 point walks in front of them instead of a 4 point…which wouldn't be all bad!!!

In summary I would support:
Bow Season:  Open
Gun/Muzzle:  Doe (if tags are available) or a Buck with at least 4 legal points on one side.  

Next

Return to Minnesota