Right or left helical

CB on the run

Right or left helical

Postby CB on the run » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:08 am

I'm planning on purchasing a helical jig for my fletcher.  I shoot a compound bow at 60lbs 30" carbon arrow right handed with a whisker biscuit. 

Do I purchase a right or left helical jig?

Charlie Belle

Goose

RE: Right or left helical

Postby Goose » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:22 am

I recommend the right helical. That is what most use and it makes sense because with a right helical your arrow will tighten the broadhead at impact where left could possibly loosen it.
I don't think either will make or break you but for me it just makes sense to go with a right.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

tnt1960

Postby tnt1960 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:02 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I recommend the right helical. That is what most use and it makes sense because with a right helical your arrow will tighten the broadhead at impact where left could possibly loosen it.
I don't think either will make or break you but for me it just makes sense to go with a right.

I couldn`t have said it any better. I agree with you Goose 100%.
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:44 pm

speaking of helicals.. what do you guys think about them, ive tried both and havent noticed much difference. Ive always just ended up going back to straight..

Woody

Postby Woody » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:15 pm

ORIGINAL: mhouck06

speaking of helicals.. what do you guys think about them, ive tried both and havent noticed much difference. Ive always just ended up going back to straight..

Lets start with right helical. Much like a football that's thrown with a perfect spiral, an arrow will fly straighter and be more stable if it rotates in-flight. This in my opinion will help with longer range shooting and be more corrective during flight. You will lose a little bit of velocity with the helical than the straight fletching. But in my opinion better accuracy is well worth the little bit of loss in velocity.

Straight fletching as stated above will be your fastest style fletching. They will be less stable for shooting broadheads. If you have clearance problems tuning your rest straight fletching will give you less of a clearance issue.

As far as shooting right or left helical really makes no difference except for the fact that left helical will loosen your broadhead at impact as Goose stated above.

I personally shoot right helical. I feel they settle the arrow down better during flight. I have had no problems tuning helical fletching with any arrow rest. I use a right helical fletching jig by bohning.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Woody

Postby Woody » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:26 pm

ORIGINAL: CB on the run

I'm planning on purchasing a helical jig for my fletcher.  I shoot a compound bow at 60lbs 30" carbon arrow right handed with a whisker biscuit. 

Do I purchase a right or left helical jig?

Charlie Belle

Not sure if you shoot vanes or feathers. You might already know this, if so sorry for babling. But vanes can be used for either right or left helical where as feathers need to be purchased with a right wing or left wing.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:21 am

Thanks for reminding me.  I mainly shoot vanes and just purchased some Bi-Delta vanes to try.  They have a nice web site which includes instructions on decontaminating your carbon arrows prior to fletching.  I have been shooting the Blazers but noticed a dark scuff mark on some of the vanes(I shoot all white).  The Bi-Delta web site states that if you shoot mechanical heads you can fletch your arrow with two vanes instead of three which I'm looking forward to trying.  I purchased the two bladed Rage head last fall but never had the opportunity to try them.  My son on the other hand was able to take an adult doe at 15 yards on video with the rage.  It performed very well and she expired within 30 yards.  Thanks to all for the info.

Charlie Belle

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:28 am

CB, I've never heard of using less than three vanes per arrow no matter what head you are using. I have a strong feeling you're not going to like the results of two vanes. You may get away with less offset or helical fletching for expandables, but less vanes doesn't sound logical. Let us know how it turns out.
Dave M.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:08 am

I've never heard of 2 vanes either and I read alot about it. Curious to see if it works.....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:02 am

It didn't sound realistic to me either but I talked with the owner directly and he spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me so I was impressed.  I had already planned on trying his product but not in the two vane mode.  I will start out fletching only one arrow in this manner until I see the results.  If it appears to work I will fletch two more as I have 3 raw shafts left from a fresh dozen purchased last August. If it doesn't I will try a three fletch. I will report the results.  I believe my Blazer vane is striking something on my bow(Martin Firecat '08 vintage) possibly one of the cross strings as it was a dark smudge on it.  I shoot a Whisker biscuit and my riser is covered with mole skin so that's why I think it maybe the string.
The web site is Bideltavanes.com 

Charlie Belle

Next

Return to Arrows