Thinking of making the trip.

mhouck06

Thinking of making the trip.

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:20 pm

My friends and I are from Western PA and we have decided to leave the state finally to go on an achery hunt. We are leaning towards iowa. Anyone have any suggestions as to where we can have good access to public land? We have been doing a decent amount of research, but its hard to find whether land is open to the public or whats going on. We dont really have a preference where in the state it is. We would just like the opportunity to make the trip and hopefully see some of those iowa giants. Im not looking for exact locations, but if one of you guys could help us narrow it down to an area that has a decent amount of public land, that would be great!

pass thru

RE: Thinking of making the trip.

Postby pass thru » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:14 pm

When are you planning on going? You will likely need to have preferance points to get a tag..

What are your plans in that reguard.
WWC

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:40 pm

maybe fall 2010 or 2011.. we are planning on applying for the points this year, i was looking online and i guess it starts in may that we can apply.. or am i mistaken? is that enough time?

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:13 pm

Since I live here, I have never looked too deeply into the specifics of Iowa's non-resident license application. I know it is an expensive and time consuming process. Enough so, that it has kept my out of state relatives and friends from hitting me up for a hunt. I think you will need to be patient.

Secondly, please remember that individual results may vary. Most of those "Iowa giants" are on well managed private lands. Do not invest the time and money if your happiness is dependent on killing a B&C. The TV hype and the reality of hunting public lands or small private parcels in Iowa and two different things.

All that being said, if you want to come see some beautiful Midwestern scenery and have a chance a decent deer, it can be well worth the effort. I live in South Central Iowa and Steven's Forest is the largest public hunting in the area. There are a number of units spread over 2-3 counties. As long as you do not mind modest lodging, there are plenty of small town motels to choose from. Bow hunting, particularly during the week should offer you a fairly private hunt. Does should be plentiful and targeting a 2.5-3.5 year old buck between 110-130" would be a realistic goal. Of course B&C bucks are not out of the question, but they are far from common.

Hope that helps.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Everyone should hunt in IOWA...It is the Land of the Giants of course! :)  All non-residents that hunt in WI should change and move a little further south!  [:D]
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Just out of curiosity what is the process and how much?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:40 pm

thanks for the replies!
jph.. thank you for the info.. to me a 110 to a 130 would be a great accomplishment.
we are just looking to get out of PA, explore the country a little bit. Im using the trip as a way to sight see and partake in my passion. Even if I come home empty handed, it would be a worth while trip, just to say I made it out. Ive been looking and until you get the tag and license and other fees, its a little less than $500 i think.. or around there. Most websites ive seen say that it takes about 2 to 3 preference points to get drawn, which fits my time table pretty well. As far as the lodging goes, thats what I would be looking for, something modest like you said. We even entertained the thought of trying to camp somewhere.. how feasible is that?

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:47 am

When I was at the Wis deer expo last weekend we went to Greg Miller's seminar. Although I have no proof of this he said Iowa just raised their non resident tags to $600.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:15 am

Yeah, Im not sure about this year, wont know til may 3rd when we can apply

but i have last years application and this is what they are..

Any Deer & Antlerless Only $323.00
Anterlerless Only 151.50
Holiday Anterlerless 51.50
Hunting License 80.50
Habitat Fee 11.50

So it would amout to near $415 for license and tag..

I really hope it doesnt go up to $600

When you say tags.. do you mean the Any Deer & Antlerless Only is going to $600??? or the whole package all said and done will be $600?

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:10 am

Don't know. He just said non resident license. I thought he was talking about archery. I guess if you went to Iowa DNR website they would have something there or call them.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next

Return to Iowa