Under Armour and a couple of questions?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Dan Schmidt

RE: Under Armour and a couple of questions?

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:24 am

I do walk a bit to get to my stands. Should I completely change socks at the base of my tree before going up? I worry about deer smelling my feet for the few minutes it takes to change socks. I would, of course, store socks in a plastic bag during the hunt. Any other advice?

Hi Patriot. Short answer: Yes. That is exactly what I do. In fact, on long walks, I pack everything in a big daypack and walk to my stand while wearing long underwear and a fleece layer, and one pair of liners. I stop about 100 yards from the stand and get completely undressed and then dress in my hunting clothing. This makes for a chilly few minutes! I also carry a small hand towel to wipe off excess sweat from my feet. Managing Editor Jacob Edson and I used this routine while filming a hunt here for in WI last fall when the daytime high was 5 degrees. If you walk slowly enough, you can prevent the moisture buildup, but you will still sweat no matter how you do it. I do not worry about the scent factor too much. We do spray ourselves down (boots and pant legs) before continuing to the stand. I adopted this strategy in about 1996 and it has drastically increased the time I can spend on stand in cold temps.

Dan

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks for that info Dan!  I haven't done that yet but maybe I'll start...Anything to help!
QDM!

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Here is what Under Armour says about their products:

Valued Under Armour Customer,

Thank you for your interest in our Under Armour base layers. Each base differs from the other significantly. Base 1.0 is our lightest layer out of the three. It is a relaxed fit crew that is ideal for higher temperatures with high exertion levels. Our base 2.0 is our most versatile layer. This layer is also a relaxed fit base layer that is ideal for cooler conditions. We recommend using this layer when participating in a variety of activity levels. Lastly, our base 3.0 is for the extreme cold conditions. This item is recommended for lower exertion levels and would be more ideal for "side-line" gear.
We hope that this information is helpful.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:14 pm

pass on the pricey UA buy a set of silk LJ's from sportsman guide for the early season and then a midweight fleece from cabelas and finally a expedition weight fleece also from cabelas..Dans sock advice was spot on.with the 3 weights your ready for any condtion and when its really really cold you can layer the weights[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:42 pm

ORIGINAL: JOEL

pass on the pricey UA...

I have to agree. UA is crazy expensive.

My top was a Christmas gift and I won a $50 gift cert and used it to buy my bottoms.

Now that I have seen how good the stuff is, I'll shell out the $$ for my next set. Being warm on the stand is more addictive than crack.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Being warm on the stand is more addictive than crack.

True that.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:17 am

Day-um! Smoking crack, getting high in your tree......sometimes I dunno about this bunch! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:18 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: JOEL

pass on the pricey UA...

I have to agree. UA is crazy expensive.

My top was a Christmas gift and I won a $50 gift cert and used it to buy my bottoms.

Now that I have seen how good the stuff is, I'll shell out the $$ for my next set. Being warm on the stand is more addictive than crack.

I'll second that!  But, I don't need to spend the big bucks for UA when the Rocky apparel does it for me for 1/4 the price....Check it out!
QDM!

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:07 am

I am with buckhunter21 on this one.  I refuse to pay the $$ for UA.  I have a pair of light weight Nike dry fit and heavy weight dry fit for less than one pair of UA.  Works as good if not better than my old UA that was given to me as a gift.

Also, on the same note.  Do we REALLY need camo underwear?  The only time mine is exposed is usually not a time that I am expecting to see game anyway.  Or at least I hope not anyway.  "Hold that pose Mr. Buck, while I zip up..."
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Also, on the same note. Do we REALLY need camo underwear?

Actually, it could be said that you really don't "NEED" camo ANYTHING, as long as you don't shine, make noise, or MOVE....[:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices