New Spot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
DeerCamp

RE: New Spot

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:37 am

Looks like a good spot.. Nice lanes to shoot down.. I dont like the fact that the house is there.. But that may not matter to the deer. I have a feeling itd be a real good evening late and early morning spot.. I would ask to make sure no one goes out into teh yard while hunting tho.. Good luck.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks guys! Yeah I don't really like being that close to the house either :( but from what i hear the deer don't seem to mind much, its pretty thick and secure back there so i think they feel pretty safe and protected. Yes their is a lot of woods behind our plots/spots but my friends dad only own about 30 yards if that into the woods so that kinda sucks, but at least our spots are connected right up and into the woods a little bit, and hopefully our plots will keep em relatively closer to where we are.

I'm only about 12 ft off the ground, not very high, but it will do.

Well I don't have any trail cams, my one was stolen and my other two (wildgame innovations timber eyes 5.0's) were complete garbage and i get my money back, never buy them!!! [:@] My buddy has 1 wildview tho and i'm sure he'll be putting it out soon. I hope we see at least some action lol!

A friend of mine got a spike and a doe off his land about 10 mins away from where we are and he has even less land lol! So you never know ;) I'm excited and worried at the same time. I was thinking the same things deercamp, a late evening and early morning stand would prob be my best bets on this land. I'll keep you guys posted on the plots and ill post some pics of my last shooting lane after i get done trimming it up!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:28 am

I think you have a nice spot there..remember the mature deer will stay in that thick stuff..and that small strip of woods is just enough of a funnel for them to move through...throw in your food plots and you have all your bases covered...the only thing that would make it more perfect would be a big ole acorn dropping oak tree and a water source [;)] . I think you'll do better than you originally thought.  And WOW...what a roller coaster of a ride you've been on with the other property owner...like you said count your blessings it did not go as you originally planned or you would have ended up with a lot of wasted time and $$$.  It's in Gods hands now, so take solace in that the time and effort you put in made a difference to that  ecosystem no matter how small or how many deer you see...and next year you will be that much more prepared...you even managed to convince your buddy to do it the right way...good work man!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks DeanoZ! That is one thing that has me excited about the spot, it is very secluded, very thick, and private, I can see how deer would love it in there. And the only time people are back there is to get wood on their 4 wheel trails, so it's typically undisturbed and now that they know were hunting there, they try to stay out as much as possible. But I like to worry constantly about things and that's of course what I'm doing lol! We actually do have a water source, their are 2 prob like 2 ft deep water holes that are 3 ft in total circumference surrounded by brush and he has a pond off to the right of the 3rd picture, sometimes they even come out to the pond to drink i have heard lol!

I wish we had a oak nearby, I don't think their are any by our section of the woods, but i haven't been out there much with work and everything to check. The next time ill be out there is the 4th of August and i hope that will be the last time before the season starts. Yeah it has been quite the ride [8|] lol! I'm just glad its all figured out even if it is just 2 or so acres compared to 350 lol! I'm very excited for this year and next year considering I have my buddy wanting to fertilize and lime to make our plots grow as best they can. I actually have a question for you guys...

Do you think putting lime down in the fall would be beneficial for the spring when we plant? Idk if laying lime down when its colder out works well, still learning here lol! But thats what I want to do come the end of bow season, do you think that would work out ok? We won't be hunting on that property much if at all come gun season.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:50 am

Thats a great looking spot and don't worry about the acre size if the signs are there....I have gotten and seen the biggest deer in our area just behind the house...and have several stands set up with in 1-2 hundred yrds of the house...I know your frustation...land deal we had in the works for the last 2 yrs went no where...and then he came back to us again this yr...I got the contract all set up and sent it to the lawyers upon his approval...then he would'nt sign....wanted this and that so we dropped it.....he came back again..his lawyer that is ....and we have'nt heard a word for a month!... all the paper work is set just waiting[8|]....
Anyhow all the pics I have in the photo corner and the turkey I got this year...were taken from the house...shot my bird from a blind 150yrds from house....Go gett em.....good luck 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks msb! Yeah I'm trying not to worry about it too much, hopefully we can get one or two out of there! My friends step mom and dad said they have been seeing quite a few back there (no certain numbers given) and their are trails all in out food plots and they are eating them as well.

I went out there today and the plots came in really well! I was very pleased! It's pretty dry out there now, so I'm hoping we get some soon, but I took some pics i'll post at the end of this post. Also went out there to trim the rest of my shooting lanes, chop off this stub that was digging into my back, and conceal my stand, it went pretty smooth other than the nice bump i have on my head after opening my branch trimmer, i was prying it out of that stupid plastic crap everything is sold in, i got it out but my head found that out too when it smacked me real good lol! Everything seems to be good to go though, just gonna head out there one or maybe 2 times before the season to make sure everything is still in place and good to go for Oct 1st! [:D] And their were some oaks out in the woods, but they aren't mature enough to be producing much of anything :(

More of my time is now gonna start going into the state land in the thumb for gun season. I'm gonna get a topo map and look at what areas look the best, since I have really only hunted one section of it all the 5 years or so I have been going up there.

Here are the pics i took today, sorry if the sizes are big I'm having a problem getting em smaller for some reason [:(]

Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:30 am

Here's a few more shots from my stand and of my stand.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management