What is the best way to remove ticks??

Tips and tricks for using this forum
hunt4ever

What is the best way to remove ticks??

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Ticks came out in a big way about 3 weeks ago in Upstate NY.  To get them off me, I have always pulled them out with needle nose pliers or tweezers, but if they have been in for a few hours they break off and I have to dig deeper.  This causes a scab which last several weeks and itches for a week or so.  I heard the other day that placing Vaseline on them will cause them to pull out.  Has anyone tried that method or any other method that works better than digging them out.  I had an tick episode a couple years that almost got me thrown out of my bed and on Pedro's (my Golden Retriever's) bed.  My wife came home from work one day during hunting season with a tick embedded in her cheek of her rear end.  Based on how deep it was, I am sure it had been there from the night before.  She doesn't hunt and she wouldn't buy the story that she picked it up from Pedro.  I got out my trusty needle nose pliers and after breaking it off several times, I got most of it.  It was not a pretty sight, believe me!  Tom Mac  
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

Goose

RE: What is the best way to remove ticks??

Postby Goose » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:00 pm

I've heard of the Vaseline trick you mentioned and have also heard to use a hot needle to get them to back out. Don't know how well either of them work...I just pull them out. Tell your wife you just have to do tick checks every night[;)][:)]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:55 am

I just bought a "Tick Key" the last time I was in Cabelas. I haven't used it yet as I've not found a tick since I bought the thing. Looks like it should work. Check it out at http://www.tickkey.com/

Woody

Postby Woody » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:13 am

When they get imbedded to bad I usually get out the big hammer and a chisel...[:D] 
Ive heard of the different things above but never really tried any of them. Usually treat them like a sliver and dig them out.

Nothin wrong with the tick check idea from Goose!

Wanderer let us know how that tick key works for ya...Looks like a neat little gadget...

When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:05 am

I did this on my dog and it worked 3 out of 4 times.

I would heat (and NOT red-hot) the tweezers with a flame and touch the tick body (assuming it was filled with blood). Many times it caused the tick to let go, if it didn't let go it would greatly release its 'grip' where I could get it all out.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:15 pm

one of these works[:D]

It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanks guys for the responses. Per Wanderer, I checked out www.tickkey.com and it is worth a try. The info on "Why Tick Key" seems to make sense, so I will buy one.  In case someone doesn't want to go into the site, I am attaching info sheet.  Woody, not sure the "big hammer and a chisel" would work for me given some of the sensitive areas I have dug those creapy little guys out ofImage

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Interesting....I might have to get one of these thanks for the link!

Question for you guys, starting this past year we have a dog in the house.  We always used to have a flea and tick collar on her in the summer, but now that she's living inside with us, we would like something that isn't as smelly I guess.  I was just curious what any of you use on your dogs that seems to work pretty well?  From my experience it seems to be hit and miss when it comes to flea and tick over the counter stuff.  Thanks in advance! :)
QDM!

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:39 pm

PASSIN THROUGH, Why don't you try and let me know how you make out.  Tom Mac

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:01 pm

For my Golden Pedro, I use Frontline Plus, it is administered once a month.  Frontline goes into the blood and in theory the tick get on, sucks blood and the Frontline kills it.  I guess it works for Pedro, he is still smiling, check out photo.  Tom Mac

Next

Return to Forum rules and help