Would you take this shot?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
charlie 01

Would you take this shot?

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Would you, bowhunting from a tree stand, shoot at a walking straight away deer, or would you let it keep on walking? It can be and is a very lethal shot. At least 3 of my deer where taken walking away. One buck (pictured) went 20 yds., other two went 30-40 yds. I aim for the small of the back or kidney area, and either side of the spine, and that arrow goes right down into the "boiler room". Pictured deer had lung and heart damage, and was done in a matter of seconds. 

never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

mightyfofaad

RE: Would you take this shot?

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Don't understand your question/problem. You dropped him in 20 yds ... how much better can you get? [8|]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:18 am

I like the entry angles. As you say at that angle you will hit all of the "goodies", resulting in very short trails.

My only qualm with this shot is that your margin of error is reduced in that if you are slightly to one side, you will hit the spine. When that happens one of two things will likely happen.....the deer will drop in his tracks and then you'll have to finish him off, or he will run off like Moby Dick with a harpoon sticking out of him and likely as not you'll never see him again. The big problem with this scenario is that OTHERS will, and it's not very good PR for us. I speak from personal experience on this one!!!!

That said, if you have complete confidence in your shooting accuracy at close range, and the circumstances feel right, then it's a good killing shot.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:48 am

ORIGINAL: charlie 01

Would you, bowhunting from a tree stand, shoot at a walking straight away deer, or would you let it keep on walking?

Nope. Go in peace brother buck. Hope to see you again soon. I'm not good enough to take that shot.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:54 am

You don't have to worry about him ducking a arrow with that shot!! how many deer run off because they tried to duck a arrow but hit high and never found? But then again its how comfortable you feel with any shot you choose!

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:01 am

[/quote]

Nope. Go in peace brother buck. Hope to see you again soon. I'm not good enough to take that shot.
[/quote]

Ditto.
In my mind it's not worth the risk involved with that shot. I'll stick with the broadside or quartering away shots that have much better odds of a positive ending.
Dave M.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:08 am

The quartering away shot is the most lethal shot there is! It covers more area, more organs and does the most damage. Since I do most of my hunting from the ground, I always try to wait for that shot because of its deadliness and the ability to draw without the deer seeing me. It's an easy shot from the ground. From a tree stand, you have to be even more on the money because of the angle! The arrow's flight path is more downward and not linear.

Having said that, I killed 2 does this week with broadside shots...go figure LOL!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

NC Deer Hunter

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:12 am

Looks like he was Quartering away to me. My favorite shot! Absolutely would have taken it.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:08 am

Maybe I misread the OP, but I do not think we are talking about a quartering away shot. Charlie 01 said, "Would you, bowhunting from a tree stand, shoot at a walking straight away deer?" He then explained that he aims "for the small of the back or kidney area, and either side of the spine..." If that is quartering away, it is at an extreme angle.

I'm not knocking anyone's choice here. I know all too well that I am a mid-level archer at best, so I know some of you can make shots I cannot. I just think we need to make a distinction between "quartering away" and "straight away".  

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:12 am

If he's close enough so I know that it will enter with enough downward angle to get into the boiler room.

I'm curious why your arrow didn't bury itself, did you nick the spine or hit a rib or something? Just curious because i'd think you'd have more penetration than that.

Awesome photo by the way!

Next

Return to Best Practices