Between a Wife and a Whitetail

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
dadof3upatree

Between a Wife and a Whitetail

Postby dadof3upatree » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:49 am

The vibrating of my cell phone woke me this morning way to early on my bedside table.  As I stealthly worked my way thru the darkness in my house, I stubbed my toe on a tonka truck one of the boys left in the middle of the kitchen floor and its really throbbing now in the cold enviroment.  As I suffered in silence as to not wake the children or the wife, I realized I actually left it there when my
youngest and I finished jumping the homemade ramp of legos and deer hunting mags.  "My" tonka made
the longest jump and my 2 year old admitted to my victory by going to play with his brother instead.
     Moments later, in full camo and coffee in hand, I gently kissed my beautiful bride on the cheek.
I told her I loved her, to which she replyed "Love you to, Be careful", as she always does.  Now here I sit.  20 feet up, shivering and alone.
    I hunt some, pray some, and wonder whats up at home.  Are they all glued to the front door, awaiting my arrival.  Surely, there's no tonka truck jumping going on.  Not without me!  I miss them.
I want to be with them but I love to hunt.  Its part of me, but they are too.  Are they thinking of me
right now like I am them.  Its so selfish of me to want their lives to pause without me there but thats how I feel being gone. 
    Its a delicate balance we hunters, husbands, and dads face each fall when antler rubs and scrapes
begin to fill the woods or those thundering toms begin to roar each spring.  If it doesn't stay balanced
something is more than likely going to suffer, be it our family, our job, and heaven forbid our taxidermist.
   All this goes thru my mind this morning.  Waiting on that buck that will probably not show again.
The minutes have turned to hours and with only 30 minutes left of my day of hunting I'm already home with my family in my mind. But wait!  The unmistakable sound of a deer walking shocks me back to
reality.  As the adult doe steps into the shooting lane at 20 yards and stops broadside, I'm already at
full draw and my pin has settled on her vitals. As the pressure begins to increase on the trigger of my release another deer catches my eye behind the doe.  Its her fawn.  I let down my string slowly and enjoy the show.  I let her enjoy her family for one more day.  Who knows what tommorrow will bring.
As they disappear into the woods, I race down the tree and to the truck.  To spend sometime with
my family.  Who knows what tommorrow will bring.  Tonka trucks here I come.
Thank you Lord for the woods, for my wife Melisa, and my children Gabby, Michael, and Daniel.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

whitetailtime

RE: Between a Wife and a Whitetail

Postby whitetailtime » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:13 am

From the heart!!!! Very Nice

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:49 am

Welcome to the forum do3uat (I was too lazy to type out your full user name).

You are welcome here!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:49 pm

Welcome and great post....

Woody

Postby Woody » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:01 pm

I enjoyed it. Thanks and Welcome!!
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

coach

Postby coach » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:36 pm

We need more of that to realize how lucky we all are.
Very nice
Thanks and welcome.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Welcome to the forum!  Well said too...Sometimes I think we lose sight of all this.  Couldn't have said it any better!
QDM!

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:40 am

What a beautiful post! Love the story. We all should take the time to Thank the Lord for all the Blessings in our lives, from family, friends, and the beautiful creatures for us to enjoy. God Bless you and your family also!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Well said Dadof3upatree....great story that put a BIG smile on my face! [;)] [:D]

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Thank you to you all.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

Return to Off Topic