Great food plot mix

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
schlupis

Great food plot mix

Postby schlupis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:15 am

I dont remember the name of the original post but it was about a good food plot for all year.. I believe Goose wanted a update on the mix.. The food plot mix is Fall Winter Spring by Antler King... We planted it in august and it came up great thick and green and the deer hammered it all fall and dug through the snow in the winter during late season... Well point to the story was I was not sure if it was going to come up in the spring like they told us it would. Well I was very suprised to find out the plot came up nice and green after the snow melted and the deer are just hammering it again.. Now once it turns brown in june all we have to do is till it up and replant it in fall winter spring.. This was by far are most productive plot as far as the number of deer we saw and the amount of food for the deer.

Hope this helps if anybody is looking for a great food plot for deer..

Demoderby4

RE: Great food plot mix

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:49 am

Thanks for the info! I may have to try it out, were still debating on what we want to plant and where, we have some ideas but nothing is gonna be for sure until we go into the store or online to buy it, hopeit works as well for you this year as it did last year!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:59 am

Great info Schlupis...what kind of mix is it, meaning what forage plants (clover, brassicas, etc)?  Also yo mentioned it would turn brown again by June...if this is a perennial, why would you have to dig it up again?  or is it not a perennial?  guess i was curious why it would turn brown by June if it came up in the spring? 

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Sorry guys this is a blend of winter peas and winter rye. the plot comes up very fast we had deer eating the shoots in about a week.. I belive it is a annual because we talked to the folks at antler king and they said it will turn brown and then we can replant it... Check out AntlerKing.com has more info than I do all I can say is that plot works fantastic. we had deer on trail camera all day and night bucks bedding in the plot..... We were never not on one single hunt able to get out of the stand without it being pitch black so the deer eating bedding in the plot wouldnt see us...

I hunt in Wisconsin and the soil is sandy here and this plot came up great.. So if you have sandy soil like we do all you need to do is lime and plant and this plot will grow...

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 am

Thanks Schlupis, Ill be looking into it.....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:34 am

Thanks again Schlupis...I'm in the northeast so no sandy soil.  Pretty sure the rye /pea mix would still work, might be one for msbadger to answer?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:39 am

I'd love to get a pea mix growing, but everytime we've tried to plant them with something the deer just graze them off before they have a chance to get any height on them.

This year we're going to put about 2.5 acres in an Austrian Winter Pea and grain sorghum mix.  We can only wait to see what happens with the expanded acreage, deer around here love their peas.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:17 pm

DeanoZ, I'm sure it would work for you. Your soil is probably more fertile and user friendly!
Cereal or Winter rye will pretty much grow where ever you throw it.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:29 am

Thanks Goose...this may be exactly what I was looking for..something that is a bit more year round, plant once and has the rye in it already!  Great find Schlupis, thanks again!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Deanoz no problem if you do plant it let us know how it comes up for you... You wont be disapointed in the amount of deer you will see.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management