Jogging.....

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

RE: Jogging.....

Postby JPH » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:48 am

You should enter a 5k race. You'd be amazed at how much faster you run in a crowd. Plus, 25 minutes will put you in the top half of most casual 5k runs.

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:18 am

Great job Coach.
Don't be affraid to incorporate walking into your run, it won't adversely affect your time and will help your distance stamina considerably.
You can also do the interval training at a local track.  Run at race pace 200 meters then walk 200 meters.  Do that 8-10 times once a week.  Running hills once a week is also a great addition to your routine.
You think your old and round at 35?  Try 48 and 6', 245#! I'm in the throws of training for my first triatholon coming up on June 7th in Green Bay, Wisconsin.  I enjoy the bike and the swim but hate the running.  Unfortunately running is part of the gig and I want to compete.[:D]  Jeff Galloway has a great book on running.
Keep after it and keep us posted on your progress!

Big [font=arial]T[/font]
"Fear is interest paid on a debt you may never owe" - Unknown

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 am

ORIGINAL: QDMAMAN

Great job Coach.
Don't be affraid to incorporate walking into your run, it won't adversely affect your time and will help your distance stamina considerably.
You can also do the interval training at a local track.  Run at race pace 200 meters then walk 200 meters.  Do that 8-10 times once a week.  Running hills once a week is also a great addition to your routine.
You think your old and round at 35?  Try 48 and 6', 245#! I'm in the throws of training for my first triatholon coming up on June 7th in Green Bay, Wisconsin.  I enjoy the bike and the swim but hate the running.  Unfortunately running is part of the gig and I want to compete.[:D]  Jeff Galloway has a great book on running.
Keep after it and keep us posted on your progress!

Big [font=arial]T[/font]

Great advice Q.  During long distance runs, strategy and conservation play huge parts in overall success.  A walk/run strategy pays huge dividends allowing you to run longer and stronger without sacrificing time.  Anytime I'm over the 10 mile mark I will implement that, especially running in the country with hills.

Coach, as stated earlier, if you commit to a 5K or event, it'll push you and give you focus vs just trying to grit through it for overall health.  I usually hit a few 1/2 marathons just for that reason.

Keep in mind about running, Lance did a marathon with his good buddy Mathew M.  Said it was the hardest thing he'd ever done.  That says a lot.

Good luck with the tri!!
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

coach

Postby coach » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Wow...thanks for the help guys.
Words like this makes me want to push more.
I'll let you know of improvements.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Hoosierbuck

Postby Hoosierbuck » Mon May 04, 2009 2:47 pm

I run some. I am a former football guy, so it is required that I more or less despise running, but I do it because it's good for me. My point is this: you can do anything you train yourself to do. Proof:

Less than a mile to go before I finished my first Chicago marathon.
(Okay, I was slow, and it was a while back, but I did it, and did it again a few years later.) If I can do that, you can reach your goals too. Just got to put in the time and effort training. It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes a champion.

HB

coach

Postby coach » Tue May 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Here we go again, perfect night to go jogging.
cool weather, little breeze.

Beat my record again.
7.2 kms (4.46 miles) in 43 minutes.

At the begining of this thread ....I ran an aweful 3.7 kms (2.29 miles) .....now I'm at 7.2.
I didn't stop once, did not get no cramp, felt good, could of kept going for another mile (maybe)

My new goal......10 kms (6.2 miles)  in 1 hour.

Like I've been doing......I will keep you guys posted.

Come October I will out run a deer ! [;)]
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Tue May 12, 2009 8:19 am

Way to go Coach!!!  Sounds like your finding your pace and getting in a zone!
Yesterday was my best day running since I started.  Like you mentioned in an earlier post I felt like I could have went on for a while after I stopped.
Maybe a triatholon with a 5K at the end is to small of a goal for me.  Coach, ya got me thinking...and that's dangerous![:D]

Big [font=arial]T[/font]

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 am

ORIGINAL: Hoosierbuck

I run some. I am a former football guy, so it is required that I more or less despise running, HB

HB, That's where I'm at...a former football guy.  My legs make yours look like twigs.[:D]
I'm impressed with you doing the marathons, that's one heck of an accomplishment.
Are you still doing marathons or have you moved on to other competitions?

Big [font=arial]T[/font]

Hoosierbuck

Postby Hoosierbuck » Tue May 12, 2009 5:20 pm

After the second one, puking in Grant Park after 5 hours of running...I retired from marathons. I will run a half, or even a 25 K, but I have been there and done that at least for now, with the marathons.

I think my odometer rolls over after 22 miles. I am pretty good up to that point, and not so good from there to 26.2.

HB

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Mon May 18, 2009 1:58 am

Well with my first triatholon just 3 weeks out I made my first long run (over 5k) on Sunday morning.  Went 4.25 miles at a steady pace and felt like I still had gas in the tank at the end.  I'll increase to a 5 mile run next Sunday while in GA visiting my new granddaughter [;)].  Hopefully it's hot so I can acclumate to the heat a bit, and perhaps find a lake, without gators, that I can get an open water swim in.
A year ago I was content just to be walking 3+ miles, 3/week, at lunch time.  What a difference a year makes. 
Get moving and prepare to amaze yourself!

Big T

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness