Got myself a decision to make!

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
PrairieShadow

Got myself a decision to make!

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:03 am

i finally broke down and bought a ATV this year. 09 sportsman 500 for those of you that care.

Now Im planning on using this mostly to push snow in the winter and foodplot work in the spring/summer, this is my first spring doing food plots.

I want to get a drop spreader and a sprayer for it but can only afford one or the other this year.

Which should i get? Something else i should look at getting before either of these?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Nubs

RE: Got myself a decision to make!

Postby Nubs » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:43 am

Personally I would go with the spreader, I would think you want to get some lime and fertilizer spread out over your plot so you can get that stuff worked into the ground. I am sure if you ask around you could find someone with a sprayer that could come in and kill off those weeds. Your local feed mill probably has one to rent.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:00 am

You could go either way[:)] 
Sprayer would be nice to manage weeds and you could use liquid fertilizer if needed.
Spreader would be nice for what nubs said.
What are you planning on planting and what all needs to be done?
That might help in the decision making.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:03 am

I agree with Goose on this...Flip a coin and pick.  They are both critical pieces of equipment when planting food plots.  I'd say buy one then rent the other for the time being when you need to use it!
QDM!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:40 pm

Im waiting to get me soil test results back, that will help my decision making.

If i need to put down lots and lots of lime then itle be a no brainer for me to get the drop spreader. If not i think im going to be leaning more towards the sprayer for this year.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:18 am

Sounds like a good plan! I take it theres no other way to have the lime applied? Depending on how much you need it might take a loooooong time to spread the lime.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 am

Tractor Supply has 15 gallon speayers on sale quite often for about $90 . Not a bad price .
You could rent a pull behind spreader on a daily basis . Less expensive than buying one .
Congrats on the new ATV . I just bought a new 2008 Honda Rancher 420 cc . I had shopped around for a couple months
and decided on the Honda . I will be using it for hunting and to get up to my son's camp . Bought a solid trailer to go
along with it !

Semper Fi !

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:04 am

I'd go with the spreader.  You can always use one of the 2 or 3 gallon sprayers from the machine as you go along.  That way you have the best of both worlds.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:57 am

I would purchase the one that I would use the most and rent the other . Many of the hardware stores have some inexpensive rental tools .
Semper Fi !

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:47 am

Is tractor supply have quite a few locations?  I'd like to check them out.  How bout ordering online?
QDM!

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management