Do you leave one or more stands up through the winter?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Ben Sobieck

Do you leave one or more stands up through the winter?

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:25 am

Here are the results from the deeranddeerhunting.com poll. How did you answer?

shadow

RE: Do you leave one or more stands up through the winter?

Postby shadow » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:13 am

O.K. I see a high percentage of people leave their stands out through the winter.

My question is do you take them down at all?  And if not are the straps loosened or removed?
And if you leave the straps attached to the tree, how often are they replaced?

I have never hunted from ladder stands before and will be setting up 2 this year so I would like to find out what others do with their stands.  Is it also safe to leave them out yearround?  They are pretty awkward and heavy so if I'm able to leave them out I will, but I also want to be safe when I'm climbing and sitting in them.
Any suggestions or your thoughts on this would be great.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:17 pm

I keep most of my stands out all year.  I will every two years take them down however and do routine maintenance on them.  I do usually loosen the straps on them, but not all the time.  Haven't had any problems, and hopefully that goes forward! 
QDM!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:23 am

Mine are up all year....they are chained  as well as strapped.....both chain and strap are loosened and every other year taken down wire brushed were needed wiped down with rubbing alcohol and camo painted with rustoleium(sp?)

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am

I utilize one ladder stand and the rest are permanent / homemade jobs (I know....I know....if you build it, it WILL fall).

The ladder stand stays up year round.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:01 am

I have 3 or 4 hang on type stands I leave out all winter.  I usually set them in July or August in trees that I marked the season before.  This way I can trim the tree's if necessary. I then take them down less than a month after the season.  That way i can check the straps and stands, replace any worn components and oil it up for next season.  My ladder stands stay out all year round and I only check them once before season to make sure noone has cut the chain on them or anything. 

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:57 am

I hunt private family farms.  I leave mine up year round.  But, I check them every year and tend to move them around a little bit.  If I see anything wrong, I take em home and fix em up.  

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:13 am

I leave a few stands up all year and periodically change the ratchet straps . I have a couple hang-ons that the tree has grown around ........
Semper Fi !

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:55 pm

My stands/platforms stay up all winter. There plans were drawn up by a wood pattern maker (my uncle) and constructed with treated lumber and galvanized nuts, washers and bolts. I bring in the front sides of the box stands because the critters chew the plywood up.  I check the stands each fall and repair/replace anything that is needed.  If you do not loosen the straps around the tree, you will girdle it and it will die.  I know, I learned the hard way...killed two nice trees on my farm.  I'm sorry.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:37 pm

I leave my stands up but always forget to bring the seats in. The critters chewed them pretty bad this year. Some are starting to leave indentations in the trees and need to be moved. I will be taking all of them down after season to repaint and do other maintenance.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next

Return to Tree Stands