Ladder Stand Help Needed

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Bowtechian

RE: Ladder Stand Help Needed

Postby Bowtechian » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:29 pm

Patriot, another brand you might want to look at is Big Dog stands. They seem to have a good variety of products & price ranges. Their website shows all dealers in your area. Hopefully whatever brand you buy comes with quality safety harnesses.

www.bigdogtreestands.com
Dave M.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:02 am

I'm of the opinion that you have to maximize the new hunters comfort level.  With that said, I suggest you step up to the two-man stands that have full platforms, not the small, thin foot rests.  Unfortunately, they will push you up to the $200 range.

One like this is what I mean....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 20051&rid=

I have one two-man stand but I built it myself.  It came out very much like this one. The full platform makes it extremely easy for each person to get themselves situated when getting into and out of the stand.  The full platform is also nice because you can stow a pack under the seat behind your feet.  My kids enjoy the stand very much. 

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:10 am

I ended up getting a Rivers Edge 17 foot Timbershot Extreme ladder stand and 2 Rivers Edge Bigfoot XL Extreme hang on stands from Gander Mountain this weekend.

I put the ladder stand up in my yard.  Can't wait to practice now!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:45 am

ORIGINAL: vipertech

I'm of the opinion that you have to maximize the new hunters comfort level.  With that said, I suggest you step up to the two-man stands that have full platforms, not the small, thin foot rests.  Unfortunately, they will push you up to the $200 range.

One like this is what I mean....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jsp?id=0068382&navCount=8&parentId=cat20051&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat20051&parentType=index&indexId=cat20051&rid=

I have one two-man stand but I built it myself.  It came out very much like this one. The full platform makes it extremely easy for each person to get themselves situated when getting into and out of the stand.  The full platform is also nice because you can stow a pack under the seat behind your feet.  My kids enjoy the stand very much. 

This is similar to the one that I got at Gander MTN last year...for about $150 I think.
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:26 am

Purchased this one at Dick's Sporting Goods a couple of years ago for $119 on sale right before season. 

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/big-game-partner-ladder-stand.aspx?a=523711

It's rock solid and has a large platform.  Excellent for new hunters. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon May 04, 2009 7:14 am

Just a safety reminder to anyone hanging up a new treestand (especially hang on stands).  Practice hanging it on a tree just a few inches off the ground.  Have an experienced hunter walk you through it (like my brother did for me this weekend).  I am now super confident trying this on my own.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Previous

Return to Tree Stands