What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby JPH » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:12 am

Okay Holly, this is not uncommon. In the end, it all comes down to motivation. This is true for the Olympic athlete, Navy SEAL, or the average person looking to shape up. We all have to unlock our own potential in our own way.

It sounds to me like you may have bitten off a little more than you can chew. No big deal. The classes may move at a better pace, but you may find those painful too. You may need to begin by simply taking a short walk every day. If you can keep it up, no matter what, you'll begin to like it. Then one day you'll want to go further, or finish faster. Maybe you'll find yourself wanting to carry small weights. Whatever, the point is that you need to accept very slow progress.

This is not an infomertial where they promise quick results without breaking a sweat. It takes time and determination. We're pulling for you!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:39 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

Just an update on training.

I want the 300+ BP by end of April
and the 315 squat.

Well the BP is still in the 275-285 x 3 range
I won't try next week for the 300 since I went heavy this week, so it's been extended  +1 week, I should still have the 300 x 1

But the legs! Oh my did they do good today.
300 x 3 on the squat, DEEP and full of power.
Easily could have hit the 315, but today wasn't the day to attempt it, so i'll miss the 315 goal (end of April) but only by +1 week or so.

Feeling great and still doing lots of cardio!

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:17 pm

DoeEyed,
I didn't mean to put you on the spot. I'm sorry to hear that you found this particular experience less than fulfilling. JPH is right. I don't necessarily believe this to be a matter of discipline as much as it is a matter of motivation. Exercise is work. The good news is there's more than one way to skin a cat (I've tried most of them Image). Find what works for you: classes at the Y, bike riding, etc. Do you have someone to exercise/jog/bike with? It's been my experience that a partner can help push me to get out and move when the motivation meter is running on empty.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:58 am

JPH, MSHunter - I think what works best for me is simply not having a routine.[:D] If I feel like walking, I walk. Jogging, I jog. Lifting, I lift. Biking, go for a bike ride. Taking a class at the Y or working in the yard. Doing what I feel like doing instead of doing what i think I should do is the best motivation I have. Does that make sense?
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:02 am

As far as working out with someone... I can get my hubby to go for a walk once in awhile but that's about it. That's why I take classes at the YMCA, which is where I happen to be heading right now.[;)]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:32 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

JPH, MSHunter - I think what works best for me is simply not having a routine.[:D] If I feel like walking, I walk. Jogging, I jog. Lifting, I lift. Biking, go for a bike ride. Taking a class at the Y or working in the yard. Doing what I feel like doing instead of doing what i think I should do is the best motivation I have. Does that make sense?

And in actuality, mixing up your routine or changing it constantly is one of the best ways to make progress.  The bottomline Doe Eyed is what you and JPH have already illuded to...do something that's going to increase your heart rate and add progressive, steady restance CONSISTANTLY, over a period of time.  You enjoy working out that way because its different, new and does not lead to tedium or boredom.  Once that happens the motivation goes away and so does the desire to stick with it.  Mix it up and take it slow..day at a time...if yuo can hunt and climb treestands with the best of us i have every bit of faith and confidence you can do this :)

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:15 am

You want to know what kind of excercise I like best? Raking the yard in the Spring and Fall. Chopping and hauling wood. Playing with the dogs. Tearing down old barns by hand. I used to love bailing hay and picking rocks on the neighbors farm when I was a kid. I even like using the push mower to cut our yard. It takes forever but at least I'm outside. Stuff of that nature, most of it is work, but I get something done and a good workout besides.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

You want to know what kind of excercise I like best? Raking the yard in the Spring and Fall. Chopping and hauling wood. Playing with the dogs. Tearing down old barns by hand. I used to love bailing hay and picking rocks on the neighbors farm when I was a kid. I even like using the push mower to cut our yard. It takes forever but at least I'm outside. Stuff of that nature, most of it is work, but I get something done and a good workout besides.

Some of the healthiest people I know follow this exact philosophy. They do not "workout" per-se but they are always outdoors and always active. If it is working for you, stick with it.

The truth of the matter is, I workout because I am lazy. I lack the discipline needed to work enough on projects to stay in shape. 

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:53 pm

I would'nt call you lazy, JPH. Exercise is work for most people and does'nt come easy. If it was, everyone would do it.

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:05 pm

I'm 6'1' and weigh 175.  I eat pretty poorly and pretty much anything I want and alot of it.
I work constrution and have 3 kids under 7.  I coach 2 baseball teams and stay active in church services.  I run a handyman service for widowed women and single moms, which the church pays for the materials.  I don't have time to gain weight I guess.

Attn Keystonehunter:  I actually have killed a deer on the couch.  I have since given up drinking and bought a new tv.  It was Bill Jordans "Barbed Wire Buck", if you watch the Monster Buck videos, you know the one.  He had to die.......LOL
May God Bless You As He Has Me

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness