turkey opener

JOEL

turkey opener

Postby JOEL » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:17 pm

well tomorrow may 1st is our opener and its supposed to start raining at 200 am and keep going all day through monday also a thunderstorm is possible.Kinda "dampens" the enthusiasm for going but the gear is packed up anyway i m going to see what the weather is really doing in the am and decide then most likely head out later than normal and try anyway.will fill ya in when i return 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

rweyman

RE: turkey opener

Postby rweyman » Fri May 01, 2009 3:24 am

Good luck JOEL. I know that others have had good luck in the rain this year. Hopefully it works out for you too! I don't think I'm going to be able to make it out this weekend, but I got until May 10th. Keep us posted!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri May 01, 2009 4:09 am

Good luck Joel..I'll be out there tomorrow morning as well in Jersey.  Hopefully it won't be too wet for us!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:23 am

Well how did it go?

I had some action the first couple days but no success. Yesterday I was fortunate enough to get this guy. 20lbs, 9" beard, one spur was 1" and the other was just under.

It was sunny out so I didnt know the camera was set to black and white. I have the worst luck trying to take pictures of game.

Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon May 04, 2009 8:12 am

Congrats Reeper...I did not get to go out Sat morning for a myriad of reasons, but I did bump one the night before so at least now I have a good idea where they are roosting...we'll see what happens this saturday

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri May 08, 2009 6:07 pm

had to go to maryland for a funeral and its been raining like crazy the rest of the time.looks like sun,mon,tues,wed are going to be great so hopefully i will get out then
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Headrush

Postby Headrush » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:12 pm

I opened this thinking there would be a bunch of pics from everyone's sussess this year. I'm new here...does this site get much traffic? Seems like most folks here know what they're doing in the woods. Maybe we can get this going again with some pics.

Yeah I got a nice one and wanted to share haha...
22 1/2 lbs - 8 1/4" beard - 1" spurrs he was past his prime and I caught him answering another Tom in the next field over. I think he got whooped, and kicked out. I killed a bigger one last year that was 23 lbs in the same spot

P.S. Thats my Grandfather with me. Guy's 80 and solid as a rock.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:38 pm

Congrats and welcome to the boards...yep I got a tom this year ...posted his pick...think in "off topics"
I can't wait until fall they are hammering the food plots and making dusting bowls every where...besides tearing up the woods...the dog and I kicked up a big flock of poults so our turkeys had a stellar spring hatch...finally[:)] I'm usually able to roost them during bow season... then go sit tight in the morning...almost to easy in the fall...spring I put the work into calling....We all like pics

Headrush

Postby Headrush » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:33 pm

while looking back at this season, I think he was the most colorful bird I've ever taken. When the sun hit his feathers he lit right up with copper and greens on his back and sides. Looked really good for an "old guy"

Return to New York