Fawns?

djohns13

Fawns?

Postby djohns13 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:22 am

Do you think the fawns have started dropping yet? It might be a week or two early in my area but was just wondering what you are/aren't seeing in your area.

Last year my property had at least one set of triplets. We shall see this year but hopefully the fawn mortality will be really low.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Hoosierbuck

RE: Fawns?

Postby Hoosierbuck » Thu May 07, 2009 11:32 am

I am thinking it's a little early yet. I live 5 miles south of Michigan, though.

HB

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:11 am

I haven't yet seen any fawns but I have seen a few real skinny does so I am assuming that they have dropped their fawns. Hopefully will be seeing the little spotted ones very soon.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:17 am

I saw a doe with her fawn out in the corn behind the house last Thursday(5/28/09). When she took off, it had no trouble keeping up with her. They were about 160 yards out in the field and I couldn't see them well enough to guess how old the fawn might be. Also, the neighbor found a dead fawn with the insides eaten away and the head gone while baling alfalfa Friday evening. Looks to be a coyote kill. Coyotes are pretty thick this year.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:49 am

Put in new stand over weekend and kicked up a small fawn in the thickets. Almost stepped on it cause I didn't see it til it jumped up and moved. It was about the size of a large tom cat or fox. Hope I didn't hurt it or cause it to fall prey to a predator.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Return to Indiana