planting apple trees ?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
ranwin33

RE: planting apple trees ?

Postby ranwin33 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:01 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

anyone have a good source for crab apple trees?

National Wild Turky Federation used to have them, don't know if they still do.  Those I bought last year were of exceptional quality and a very good price.  It appears most are coming back strong this year. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:03 am

ORIGINAL: duckunder

I want to plant four or five apple trees in our woods...  One of my friends told me it is very hard to get a new tree to grow and survive when planting amongst other trees... He claims the other trees rob all of the moisture in the ground and your tree will die from lack of water.. He apparently tried to grow some new pine trees in amongst a bunch of oak trees and he said they all died..

Now, I'm just wondering, if I am only planting four or five trees and I go out once a week for the first couple months and water them heavily....... would they survive????????

I understand his logic..  I can imagine a young tree planted out in the wide open would have alot better chance to survive since there is no competition for water or light...

What do you guys think?  Surely someone has tryed this before, wondering what kind of luck anyone has had ?

If you're putting them in the woods, probably be best to put them in tubes.  Our's don't last long unless they're protected.  I'd worry more about sunlight then I would about water, unless you hit a drought.  So find an opening in the canopy or knock some other trees down to let the light in.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:28 am

All good points here.  I'm new to this apple tree planting myself.  I am buying four crabapple trees tonight and putting them in this weekend.  They are about 5 feet tall.  Any advice?  I got this down so far: 

[ul][*]Plant in a sunny spot
[*]Protect them from browsing till they reach maturity
[*]Fertilize (bought fertilizer spikes)[/ul]
If anyone has anything else please feel free to add.  One thing I do have to do is put up a fence to protect from browsing.  Any suggestions on what to use and where to purchase?  One of my friends suggested a snow fence...But was thinking that I would need something a little taller?  Hm. 
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:54 am

We've got our trees in 4 and 5 foot tubes - I think 5 foot is plenty tall to keep deer from browsing.  Not to say the wouldn't, but if there is easier pickings around your trees should be fine with 5 feet of protection.

I'm still looking for something that will keep the haybaler away from mine I've got planted near the fence line.  [:)]

Aldo Leopold

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu May 07, 2009 3:59 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33
I'm still looking for something that will keep the haybaler away from mine I've got planted near the fence line.  [:)]

Take a section of 4" ribbed / flexible drainage tubing the length you need . Slit it lengthwise and slip it around the tree trunk .
Spray paint it Blaze Orange ( before you install it ) ............
Semper Fi !

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Fri May 08, 2009 7:51 am

Mulch and trim the sky line
May God Bless You As He Has Me

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:30 pm

apparently tried to grow some new pine trees in amongst a bunch of oak trees and he said they all died..

I want to plant four or five apple trees in our woods...  One of my friends told me it is very hard to get a new tree to grow and survive when planting amongst other trees... He claims the other trees rob all of the moisture in the ground and your tree will die from lack of water.. He apparently tried to grow some new pine trees in amongst a bunch of oak trees and he said they all died..

They Pines died because the soil was not acidic enough....pines need acidic soil...oaks need nuetral soil....pines do not grow well in hardwood forest...thats why you see pine stands or oak stands usually...not to say that a pine can't grow but it will have a tough time...

anyway i have planted apple trees and have many apple trees on my property...the biggest problem is getting them sunlight and the right PH to grow in

apple trees are just like food plots...you need to prepare the site first ..them you need to lime and fertilize regularly until they are established... 

It is a mistake to think you are going to plop them in the ground and they will just grow.

also deer love to rake there antlers on them and eat the buds off so you have to put them in an enclosure so they are not eaten ot destroyed...

also must get them sunlight....

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun May 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Are there any apple trees already growing in the area? If so, what kind? You might have better luck planting a variety that has already shown the ability to grow in your area. As others have probably said, get them as much sunlight as possible, even if it means cutting down nearby trees.

impeach O

Postby impeach O » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 pm

I use a product called terasorb from gardeners supply that holds moisture, never lost a tree yet! I also use the addage $50 hole for a $10 tree as mentioned earlier and water well for the first month.
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

Illinoishunter102

Postby Illinoishunter102 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Last summer we planted a row of around 14 apple trees. They didnt have and other trees surrounding them. We heavily watered them for the first 2 weeks. Only 2 have died due to rabbits chewing on them.

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements