Crossbow Lobby

willseyville

RE: Crossbow Lobby

Postby willseyville » Mon May 18, 2009 11:22 am

we as hunters all have our opinons on this. but lets be honest the only reason the state is considering this is for the money they can get form the tags and the makers of crossbows are for it for the money as well the guys over on t an t'h page know where i stand on this we the sportsmen and women shell out the bucks on fees and taxes on have little say on what goes on it's the big money lobbiest that make the rules and they're only in for a profit [;)]wayne

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon May 18, 2009 11:46 am

NY archer ...you are so right and some of us have real yahoos to deal with...all I'll say... other than that.... is Thanks for the info ..."E"'s are sent along with the request that rifle season NEVER opens in reg. 8............

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon May 18, 2009 12:17 pm

ORIGINAL: willseyville

we as hunters all have our opinons on this. but lets be honest the only reason the state is considering this is for the money they can get form the tags and the makers of crossbows are for it for the money as well the guys over on t an t'h page know where i stand on this we the sportsmen and women shell out the bucks on fees and taxes on have little say on what goes on it's the big money lobbiest that make the rules and they're only in for a profit [;)]wayne

Wayne.

As one "ordinary little guy" to another I hear you. To a Point. There are others standing to profit too. Near the top of that list is the folks who buy, sell, and repair archery gear. In short, our local recreational economy. And the positive effects can be far reaching. Sure, there are and will be taxes and fees. That is a given everywhere.
Some of us are looking farther down the road at the bigger picture. The overall health and freedom of hunting in NY state. For our kids and hopefully their kids. We need all the help we can get. Lobbyers? You bet. More hunters? Bring em on. We are slowly dying off people. It can no longer be all about us, what we think we deserve, how many "yahoos" or jerks we think we can control,etc,etc. Not gonna work.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Tue May 19, 2009 5:07 am

Squirrelhawker all your points are valid as to your reasoning why they should be legal. We do need to do more as hunters to bring new blood into our sport as hunter numbers decline overall. Legalizing a new weapon to do this is not going to get the results you may think. Only hunters themselves can fix this situation by mentoring someone (man, woman or child) and helping them become new hunters with a respect for the outdoors. The vast majority of those who would hunt with a crossbow will be already current hunters. As to some arguements that we as hunters are having less of an impact on herd numbers I say extend the season some then. 1 wk up front in oct. and add 1 wk. to the back end. How about begin oct 1st with crossbow season for 2-2 1/2 wks until archery opener. Everyone benefits. Archery shops will have a small boon from current archers like me who will need both weapons. the state gets an extended harvest of deer and a better handle on increasing deer numbers, and all of us hunters have another and earlier excuse to be in the woods [:)]! I just think that you cant group bow and crossbow together. Your forced to chose one over the other and there is an advantage with a crossbow. I think its better for all to have a seperate season. everyone wins.
Venison - the other red meat

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Tue May 19, 2009 5:16 am

P.S. hawker. Applause to you for working with injured animals and rehabing them. I read 1 of your post on a different thread. It takes alot of time money and patients to do that. My hats off to you for doing this noble work.
Venison - the other red meat

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue May 19, 2009 5:36 am

Ouch NYarcher.....personally I think disability only BUT...adding on a differant season for xbows only if it were go to general puplic ...I'd say the muzzle season/archery as cross bow only...but to open reg archery up Oct 1 is a great idea

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue May 19, 2009 7:44 am

ORIGINAL: NYarcher

P.S. hawker. Applause to you for working with injured animals and rehabing them. I read 1 of your post on a different thread. It takes alot of time money and patients to do that. My hats off to you for doing this noble work.

Thanks NYArcher

I am one of the few people who actually get paid to do that kind of work. It is interesting and rewarding if done for the right reasons. For me it is a strictly stewardship/conservation thing. 

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri May 22, 2009 4:53 am

if a 35lb draw weight is too much to draw back how are you going to cock a crossbow?
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri May 22, 2009 9:07 am

I just got back my first letter...thanking me for bringing my concerns about the pending bills to attention....and that they will be concidered.....1 down [;)][8D]

coach

Postby coach » Sun May 24, 2009 1:19 am

I'm not from New York, But I will give my opinion anyways.

What's wrong with crossbow.  It brings more hunters to practice our hunting heritage.
Irresponsible hunters ???  Maybe in your town, but not mine.  Breaking the law, ignore boundaries...Nyarcher, your too funny.  You just don't want anybody else to come hunt where you hunt.
You like bowhunting because its quiet.  You feel that if crossbow comes around there will be more of us hunters in your way.  WHy would a crossbow hunter be breaking the law more than a regular bow hunter ?  I don't get it. You amuse me.  Instead of learning and accepting, you decide to work against us.  Not good.

I hunt with a bow, crossbow, rifle, shotgun, and muzzle.  And you know what.......its all the same.
I use the same....14 treestands. Same season, different season, I hunt with what I want when I want.
Now that's Hunting.

And by the way....yes you can compare muzzle/rifle  and bow/crossbow.

p.s.   If you don't agree with some hunting methods or weapon being used...., that's fine, don't go around bashing other hunters and treating them like they are criminals.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

PreviousNext

Return to New York