Behavior

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
retiredsailor

Behavior

Postby retiredsailor » Wed May 27, 2009 6:20 am

I live on a mountainside in northern Virginia. Lots of deer within my development and, since no hunting is permitted in that area, and they aren't bothered too much by people, they will frequently come pretty close to homes and munch on our lawns (and flowers or whatever tasty shrubs they happen upon). Last year around early June, I was watching a mature doe in my yard when I caught sight of a red fox running up along the edge of the lawn. The doe also watched the fox for a few seconds then suddenly tore off after it. I could not understand exactly what was happening. At first it appeared that she might have simply been playing with the fox, but as they disappeared into the woods behind my house, both of them tearing through the woods at max speed, I thought that maybe she had one or two young fawns up in those woods and she was making sure the fox didn't bother them. Still haven't figured out exactly what was happening. I have never seen a deer chase anything, except another deer - during rut or perhaps chasing one away from a food source. As I said, I think maybe she had young that she was looking out for, but I don't know that for a fact. Anyone have any other ideas as to what may have caused her to chase after that fox?

DeerCamp

RE: Behavior

Postby DeerCamp » Wed May 27, 2009 6:35 am

Something could have spooked them both, or it could be the fact that she did have fawns with her that you couldnt see, deer do chase and play around with other animals as well.. It really could be a number of things that came into play here.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed May 27, 2009 7:24 am

Your assessment appears to be accurate. A doe's maternal instinct is very high during the fawning season, and she will fiercely protect her fawning area. That is probably what you were witnessing ... a doe protecting her area and her offspring.

Best,
Dan

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed May 27, 2009 12:10 pm

ORIGINAL: Dan Schmidt

Your assessment appears to be accurate. A doe's maternal instinct is very high during the fawning season, and she will fiercely protect her fawning area. That is probably what you were witnessing ... a doe protecting her area and her offspring.

Best,
Dan

Totally agree. I have hooked a number of "abandoned" fawns back up with the doe. One in particular that I bleated in, came in on the run with murder in her eye.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed May 27, 2009 12:17 pm

If you look in the most recent issue of D&DH on the advertisement page for Cuddeback you can see a doe chasing a coyote away in what appears to be the same situation. I personally have not witnessed it but on videos/shows I have seen does even charge or chase bobcats to protect the fawns. Interesting stuff.....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Thu May 28, 2009 6:33 am

Thanks to all who submitted an input, and especially to Goose. I'm away from home at the moment and haven't seen my latest D&DH magazine but will be sure to check out that picture.

John1961

Postby John1961 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:41 am

Hey Retired Sailor, Welcome to the best deer info site around. Lots of great info here as well as good times and laughs. Thank You for your Service. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:00 am

Being the fact that she was a Mature deer, I would say she was probably not just playing with the fox. It is my opinion, deer lose their playful nature as they age. Life is too hard I think. They will stay curious but not playful. If she wasn't defending her young or territory she may just be a crabby old doe! Every deer has its own personality.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

sv2112

Postby sv2112 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:51 pm

Usually it is curious behave especially if they see that you are harmless. But they can get to curious and the curiosity will become aggressive. I would stay away by about 30 feet in case they decide that you are to close for their comfort. If you get to close when they are mating then it could be aggressive or if a doe has a little one. It mainly depends on the situation. Just be careful and don't get to close so you can have an escape in case the deer is aggressive.

Life Insurance | Life Assurance

Return to Deer Browse