Timber Cut

DeerCamp

Timber Cut

Postby DeerCamp » Wed May 27, 2009 6:33 am

So the other week I took a drive to my stomping grounds in the woods and found out about a block where my tree stand is they cut a whole bunch of timber down. And I mean a lot! It seems like it was clear cut, there isnt really any down trees in the area and it was mostly pine trees that were cut down. I didnt have to much time to walk around but I plan on going back, I was wondering how this may effect my hunt for this up coming year? I hope this is a good thing? Because this is my 6th year hunting this same tree, and over all it's been my best stand ever! It seems as if I always see deer there. Anyone have this happen to you? This is state land by the way, so I didnt really have a choice if it got cut or not.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

RE: Timber Cut

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Deercamp...I would say that if it's clearcut like that, unless it's a travel corridor between a bedding area and a food source, it may be tough pickins' this year.  BUT, give it a couple two or three years and it'll get thick like you won't believe and they'll be back.  Might be a good thing if the forest floor was deprived of sunlight...This opens things up!
QDM!

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Thu May 28, 2009 2:43 am

Hi Deercamp,
Sounds like you have good spot! Yes, the widespreading logging will likely impact what you see from your stand this year. Early season hunting will probably be best, because after leaf-out it is going to be wide open. However, as Buckhunter stated, you should see better days ahead, especially a few years from now. The browse regeneration alone should congregate deer toward the area, not to mention provide better bedding cover. Until then, key on any berry brush or sumac regrowth that you notice. New growth of these understory species are preferred food sources, especially during the early bow season.

Best,
Dan

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu May 28, 2009 7:49 am

Thanks input buckhunter21 and Dan Schmidt! I do plan on hunting it early season..And yes there was a travel route the deer liked to take from that area to my stand to the clear cut area before it was cut again, however in the past few years Ive noticed that the deer seem to have changed their patterens a bit. They will still take that way, but not as much as they did the first 2 to 3 years. You can betchya Im gonna be hunting their in a few years still, so Ill be looking forword to this.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu May 28, 2009 10:53 am

I mimic what the others have said. If I remember correctly you hunt national forest land right? These clearcuts can be the best thing to hunt. They become like a food plot with the regrowth. The first 5 years of a clearcut can be the best for reasons stated above. It will give them cover and food in the future.
Often times they leave one or 2 large trees in the clearcut and depending on cover, those trees can be a great spot for a set. When it gets thicker over the years you might want to consider that spot for the chasing/breeding phases because the doe will try losing the bucks in the thick cover. Where I hunt in northern WI the folks up there will tell you that the deer follow the chainsaws.
Look at it as an advantage for you and I think you'll be happy with the results.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:20 pm

I have witnessed the same things on the state land i hunt DeerCamp. The first year i hunted that state land the section i was in was just clear cut (5-6 years ago) i saw a few deer on opening day and other than that it was hit or miss (mainly miss lol!) About 3 years ago i started to notice the cover and re-growth that had happened, and it is amazing! It is extremely thick in this section and their are rubs, scrapes, trails, you name it, (deer sign wise) is is in this section, but like i said it is EXTREMELY thick and is hard to hunt without making major disturbances to get to a stand. But the deer do love it, and im willing to bet this is an area where bucks love to hang out/escape pressure when pressure starts to peak.

Ill def be up there for gun season again this year and i might try to set up a stand on the outside of the thick stuff right before it on a trail this year and hope to catch a buck trying to sneak away from the pressure come gun season. Like everyone has said, the next few years might be more slow action-wise than in the past, but come 3 years from now it will prob be a deer's paradise! Good luck!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:29 am

I doubt it'll change much, other than the deer routes may change. I'd do some scouting to check. Hard to know without seeing the property. 

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:11 am

An area I hunt was clear cut a few years ago and for the first season or two deer sightings were scarce. Early season while the new growth was green gave the best chance of a sighting but then the rest of the season it was rare to see anything. I have now waited and look to hunt that area again this year as last year my cameras started showing deer in the area again. This year the clear cut has really thickened so I think it will be a good year, it's all 6-8 feet tall now. I plan to get my cameras back out there next month and see. From what I can tell it takes about 3 years to get a clear cut back to good habitat for deer. Of course every situation is different and if you say there was a trail there before they may just alter their path to follow the edge of the clear cut. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Return to Michigan