Giant Whitetails!

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Everyday Hunter

RE: Giant Whitetails!

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu May 28, 2009 3:49 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Dan...That's a good point.  Does PA have it state-wide?  I guess I haven't done much research on it. 

Pennsylvania does use antler restrictions state-wide. In some areas that offer more food (more farming areas) and theoretically have better genetics (although I don't see the evidence), the restriction is 4 points to a side, so a 4x3 seven-point or a 4x2 six-point would be legal. In big-woods areas, it is 3 points to a side, so a 3x2 five-point would be legal. In the 3-point area lots of people believe many bucks lack brow tines, but I would not make that claim.

The results have been positive. While I haven't checked lately, memory recalls that we went from the harvest including about 80% yearlings (as high as 90% or even 95% in some places) to the harvest including about 50% yearlings. That's still a high number of yearlings, and it doesn't let some of those little basket 8-points and 3x2 bucks survive to age 2½. I'd like to see the state extend the 4-point rule across the state.

The difficulty with any kind of antler restrictions (whether it's point restrictions, width of main beams, or any other proposal) is in making a rule that actually works in the field for hunters across the age groups and experience levels, and is both enforceable and socially acceptable.

So, what we've done is positive, but certainly not above criticism.

I hope that answers your question, BH21.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu May 28, 2009 6:07 am

I don't have a scale but my largest doe had chest girth of little over 40in. the chart I have puts here in the mid 140 lbs. field dressed and mid 180's live weight.   I'm not sure how accurate all that is, but when I took her to have her made into sausage they said it was the biggest one they'd seen.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:31 am

Steve, thanks for the info!
QDM!

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Fri May 29, 2009 4:18 am

From my experience, deer come in all shapes and sizes.  Consequently, some deer can look lighter than they actually are, and vice versa.  Over the past 25 years, I've been fortunate to have taken (what I would call) 3 heavy bucks.

The first one dressed out at 215 lbs and had a very thick 10 point rack with 23" main beams.  It would have score much higher (157") except the tines were relatively short compared to the rest of the rack features.

The second buck dressed out at 220 lbs and was aged to be 8.5 years old.  It was missing an eye and the rack was a bit stunted compared to the buck's body.  The buck had a huge neck, and the drag out to the truck was a real chore.

The third big buck, my most recent, was deceptive.  It was a big deer, but well  proportioned and it wasn't until it was on the scale that we realized how heavy it was - 225.  It had a nice rack and although I never scored it, I believe it was in the 150's.

Although I personally didn't fill my tag last fall, attached is our hanging pole from 2008.  The buck on the right was a 3.5 year old 9-point which dressed out at 145.  The buck on the left was a 2.5 year old 8 point that dressed out at 135 pounds. The buck in the middle is a 160 class and dressed out at over 210 pounds.  Not in the photo is another 200 pound hog that was already at the taxidermist.

"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:14 pm

I've never killed anything older than 1-2 1/2. I've had two four-pointers that weighed 140, and a spike that weighed in at 150. I imagine they get a little bigger up here in Maine than they do in some other places
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

bowbrown

Postby bowbrown » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:15 am

Biggest buck so far dressed at 190 after the rut with three broken tines and not an ounce of fat would have liked to get him before the rut for body weight and rack would have been around 150". Biggest doe was last year dressed 140#.

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:29 am

OH: That is a BIG doe!

Sam: Thanks for the photo. That really shows the disparity between adult bucks. Fully mature whitetails really pack on the weight after age 3.

Best,

Dan

mstillson

Postby mstillson » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:15 pm

After reading your article on Giant Whitetails , I wish we had weight the one I shot 3 years ago weight ed. The neck measured 33 inches. We estimate field dress at 220 to 240 lbs. It had never dawned on me to have it officialy weighted. When we took the deer to the butcher. They thought we had two deer on the trailer when we pulled up. Before we could do any papper work they had to look at the deer. I had to pay 40 dollars extra be cause the form had to be custom made. I never  knew someone kept track of weight. The rack had a 23 1/2 inch inside spread. We estimated his age at 5 1/2 to 6 years old. I nicknamed him " OH MY " because thats the first thing I said when I saw him.

Bukmastr

Postby Bukmastr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:20 pm

This is my heaviest one... Although not officially weighed, it bottomed out my 300 pound scale after field dressing.

Interestingly, I have taken my share of bucks that dressed over 200, but my two highest scoring bucks both weighed in the 170's dressed.
My fascination is with truly mature bucks, heavy weights and old bucks seem to go together though.
Last edited by Bukmastr on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Infalt
Big buck serial killer
http://www.huntingbeast.com

deerstand

Postby deerstand » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:23 pm

The heaviest buck I've ever taken was in Manitoba, Canada in November of 2000. The 140 class 9-pointer with a dark brown rack had a live weight of 272 pounds. He dressed out at 217. The most impressive physical feature of this buck was his neck. It measured 36" around.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features