Gray wolves removed from endangered species list

DeerCamp

Gray wolves removed from endangered species list

Postby DeerCamp » Sun May 17, 2009 6:05 pm

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153--214079--,00.html

Federal Delisting of Wolves Complete; State Management Plan Takes Effect
Contact:  [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]Brian Roell 906-228-6561[/size][/font]
Agency: [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]Natural Resources[/size][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]May 4, 2009
Gray wolves today were removed from the federal endangered species list, a move that officially transfers wolf management authority to the state level.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources will now manage wolves under provisions specified in the state wolf management plan.
"The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's decision to return wolf management to the state of Michigan shows their confidence in our ability to successfully manage a viable wolf population," said DNR wolf program coordinator Brian Roell.
The DNR now has the authority to use lethal control to manage wolves in cases where nonlethal methods, such as husbandry practices, noise-making devices, barrier fencing and rubber bullets, are not successful or viable. Lethal control of problem wolves was not allowed while wolves remained on the federal endangered species list.
"Nonlethal control and educating the public about wolf behavior remains our preferred means of managing the wolf population," Roell said. "But having the option to remove wolves with a documented history of depredation on livestock or pets will help improve public perception of wolf management and should increase the public's acceptance of wolves in our environment."
Additionally, the removal of wolves from the federal endangered species list activates legislation passed last year allowing livestock and pet owners to use immediate, lethal control against wolves that are attempting to kill or injure domestic animals.
Livestock and pet owners should be aware of the following regulations governing the legal use of lethal control:

[ul][*]The wolf must be in the act of preying upon (attempting to kill or injure) livestock or a pet. A wolf merely present near domestic animals does not authorize the use of lethal control.

[*]Lethal control of a wolf must be reported to the Report All Poaching hotline at 800-292-7800 within 12 hours of the taking.

[*]Possession of the wolf carcass must be retained until a DNR official is available to take possession. A DNR official will respond to the scene within 12 hours of notification.

[*]The wolf carcass shall not be moved, unless normal farming practices will be impeded. In that case, the wolf may be moved to a secure location, but not before photos are taken of the wolf and the area where lethal control was used. If lethal control is taken by a pet owner, the wolf must not be moved.

[*]The specific legal language governing these regulations is posted online at [color=#000000]www.michigan.gov/wolves
.[/ul]
"Though the methods available for managing wolves have expanded to allow lethal control when appropriate, it is important to remember that wolves remain a protected nongame species in Michigan," Roell said.
"No hunting season is in place, and it remains illegal to kill a wolf without permission, unless the wolf poses a threat to human life or is in the process of attacking livestock or a pet," Roell added. "Poaching cases should be immediately reported to the state's Report All Poaching hotline at 800-292-7800."
For more information, contact Roell at (906) 228-6561 or roellb@michigan.gov.
[/size][/color][/font]

"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

HoneyHole

RE: Gray wolves removed from endangered species list

Postby HoneyHole » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:48 pm

It's a step in the right direction. I don't want to say how I feel about wolves. 

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:45 pm

up north they have got to be a real problemfrom what i hear from my uncles and grandpas and other family members. i think something needs to be done about them if they truly are becoming a problem.
just for an example, my cousin told me that when the last time he was in the rifle blind that i shot my first buck out of, he was walking back to the two track where his dad had pulled up to get him, a few wolves were circling or surrounding him. he could just make out the eye flashes and every few passes throught the lights of the truck the outline of the wolves. he said he never moved so fast n his life to get back in the truck.
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:02 pm

yeah they are up there alright!! Ive seen one before, a guy in my hunting group saw 2 come out 50 yards in front of him, and another guy in my group saw a pack of 4 come around him while he was in his ground blind..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Michigan