canned deer meat

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
bowbrown

canned deer meat

Postby bowbrown » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:07 am

Recipe for canning if anyone is interested, started canning a couple years ago and love it.

Clean meat of most of the fat and silver skin but you dont have to get to picky, cut into 1 inch chunks or smaller. Into the bottom of a clean mason jar add 1/2 in slice of an onion (and a half of a hot pepper if wanted). Start adding meat to the jar and pack as tight as you can use the handle end of a wooden spoon to pack and try to get rid of air pockets. Leave about 1 inch of space from the top, add another slice of onion (and another pepper) and 1 tablespoon of salt for a quart jar and 1/2 tablespoon for pint. Wipe the top of jar clean put on a new lid and ring, tighten but not overly tight so steam can escape. Put jars on a cookie sheet and put into oven 200 deg. for 4 hrs. after 4 hrs lay a towel on counter top and set cookie sheet on towel to allow jars to cool and seal. After a couple hrs the jars should start to pop and seal. After totally cool check to see if the the jars sealed the ones that didnt should be put into the fridge and eaten first the others can be stored at room temp. for years. The meat can be eaten straight out of the jar on crackers or bread, warmed with bbq sauce, added to cooked onions and peppers for fajitas, added to cream of mushroom and extra mush and put over rice, noodles, or biscuits. The list goes on and on for uses and last lot longer than the freezer and it is already cooked. ENJOY

Squirrelhawker

RE: canned deer meat

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:15 am

My brother in law tells the story of someone years ago giving them a couple jars of canned venison. They sat on the shelf for a long long time.

One day my sister was just out of everything to cook for dinner. The jars looked singularly unappetizing, but they popped one open and cooked it up with some 'taters. To this day they still claim it was some of the best eating they've ever had.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:32 am

My uncle cans his own too. He's old school, nothing goes to waste. He boils the back bones, knucklles, you name it, he cans as much of the meat scrap as possible. He even leaves the bones in. HA

Boy does it look disgusting, but it is sooooo yummy!
I open a can and pour it over egg noodles and simmer.

Mmmmmmmmmmm
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:57 pm

I have an uncle and cousin who do this. I have yet to find a way that I dont like venison. We had some camping a few weeks ago and he wants to trade some canned venison for some venison burger since they dont have a grinder.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Buda812

Postby Buda812 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:36 am

Bowbrown,

I tried this receipe last year and I have to say it went over well... GREAT!  I was hoping to have some for deer camp this year but it was a long Ice fishing season.  Thanks for the contribution.

cschauf

Postby cschauf » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:51 am

We can venison every year. It makes so many differnet things and is fork tender. We actually use a presure cooker so it only takes about 75 minutes to make a batch. What we do is brown the meat a little first with bowning sauce. Then fill the pint jars or quart jars about an inch from the top. When it is browned first your not supposed to really pack the meat in tight. But, after the meat is in the jar, we fill the jar to the top of the meat with pre-made lipton onion soup. Then presure cook it for the proper time. Oh man is it good. We use it for a LOT of stuff. In fact we had some last night supper and for my lunch today at work. My wife used the meat in her moms swedish meatball sauce recipe and we put it over mashed potatoes. Excellent!!!!!

dusty.b

Postby dusty.b » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:35 am

I use the pressure cooker method for canning my venison as well. I've done the browning the meat first as well as simply cold packing the jars. My personal preference is cold packing, seems to turn out better for me. But like I said it's personal preference. For someone who has never tried canned venison, I highly recommend it. Like everyone else said, you can make tons of different meals out of it.

MuzzleHeadWayne

Postby MuzzleHeadWayne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Great! Thanks for the great sounding recipe for canned venison, makes my mouth water just reading it. I have been looking for something different to add to the usual roasts, steaks, burgers, bologna and sausage. This is going to save me some room in the chest freezer as well. Can't wait to try it!
Did ya ever notice, the best tasting meats always come in their natural wrappings?

Doris

Re: canned deer meat

Postby Doris » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:58 pm

I have a Question. I did this recipe and I was talking to some one and she said i have to do meat in a pressure cooker or I can get very sick. She has me very worried that this will make my family sick. I am just learning how to do this. So has any one have advice is this recipe safe. Is it safe because of the onion to give it the acidic it needs or can you do this with out the onion.

kellory

Re: canned deer meat

Postby kellory » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:30 pm

You will find experts at food canning, and food storage here. Survivalmonkey.com
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to Recipes