expense of gun

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Gahunter

expense of gun

Postby Gahunter » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:42 am

this may hit some the wrong way but i have worked on this subject for a while. there is a new bread of gun  , i have had browning tika my favorite rem. 2 yrs ago i bought what is now arem 770 in308 with cheap scope went to the range at 100yds first two shots 2 inches left,i set it next 3 shot 1/2 inch center i was shocked,still shoots great, recently ishot with feiend a marlinxl7 25.06, my jaw dropped 3shots making 1 whole, my whole point and ? is do we rally need expensive rifles?

passin through

RE: expense of gun

Postby passin through » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:42 pm

No we don't need them, but we wants them!  Same thing about a nicer truck, sharper knife, more comfortable chair...ect.  Most of the time what you have is fine, its the want factor that pulls the wallet out.  I personally have a passion for highly accurate custom made rifles.... I can't afford them but I love them non the less.  I own exactly one after 34 years of yearning... That one only because an old friend sold it to me for what he bought the action for ... 20 years ago.
My out of the box remington 700 will shoot under an inch at 100 yds with factory ammo  and so will my custom gun.  Ones just purtier than the other one.[:D]

Thats my opinion about myself and my personal condition....but there are plenty out there who try to buy skill...which can't be done, but like with so many otrher things it is attempted anyway.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:23 pm

PT,
"No we don't need them, but we wants them!"  -- You remind me of that creature from Lord of the Rings. LOL.

Your absolutely correct. IMO, it all comes down to what your willing to spend and what you're happy with.
Some folks try to purchase accuracy as you stated. Others, may feel the need to keep up with the latest and greatest.
I've been blessed to be a cheap son of gun. I try to get the best product I can for the least amount of money possible. If
I feel something is too expensive, I go without.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:49 am

ORIGINAL: MSHunter

PT,
"No we don't need them, but we wants them!"  -- You remind me of that creature from Lord of the Rings. LOL.

Your absolutely correct. IMO, it all comes down to what your willing to spend and what you're happy with.
Some folks try to purchase accuracy as you stated. Others, may feel the need to keep up with the latest and greatest.
I've been blessed to be a cheap son of gun. I try to get the best product I can for the least amount of money possible. If
I feel something is too expensive, I go without.

I'll second that MSHunter! I'm always looking for the best product for the money too. A Marlin XL7 in .270 will probably be one of my next purchases just because it's a quality rifle that is very accurate for around $300, why pay more for a rifle that doesn't shoot as well is how I feel about it. It doesn't hurt that my only rifles so far have been Marlin, I guess that makes me a Marlin fan.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:52 am

Couldn't have said it better.

It all comes down to what we want.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Guns and Ammo