Are ticks better or worse than last year?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Ben Sobieck

Are ticks better or worse than last year?

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:46 am

Here's what the poll takers on deeranddeerhunting.com had to say. What are the buggers like in your neck of the woods (or just neck)?

ranwin33

RE: Are ticks better or worse than last year?

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 am

I'm in the can't tell yet area. 

Of three visits during "tick season" I've only picked up ticks once.  Sprayed clothes down real good last time up, and came back tick free, and I was in some pretty "ticky" areas.  As wet as it's been though, I can see them being a problem later this year.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:08 am

everyone round here is saying they are worse.maybe all the rain we're getting will drown em[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:58 pm

My vote is for worse, and that's just from being in my yard at home. I've pulled three off my legs during a short archery practice session. I even find them on the garage door trim waiting for something to latch on to. So far, none have been the tiny deer tick variety.
Dave M.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:13 am

Oddly, aside from a little spring turkey hunting I am not usually in the woods until August.

But at work the other day one of the town ACO's brought in a Redtail hawk fledge that had wandered into the road. After checking her out I went looking for her momma. I actually blundered into the nest, seeing it from the road. I literally just stepped into a thicket and seeing a small creek decided against it. I stepped out and got back in the truck. By the time I got back to the clinic they picked almost 2 dozen wood ticks off of me.

Yesterday I stepped off my lawn into he weeds and wound up with a tick on me. I vote, they're bad this year.

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness