Biologic winter peas

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
frazor

Biologic winter peas

Postby frazor » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:22 am

I noticed they were on sale at my local wal-mart and I was wondering if anybody had ever used them and what their results were? If not Biologic then winter peas in general. Thanx

ranwin33

RE: Biologic winter peas

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Haven't used the Biologic stuff but have used Austrian winter peas.  In the past we used them in plots that were just too small and deer had them grazed off before they had a chance to grow.  This year we have them mixed in pretty heavy with a two acre milo plot - hoping the milo will grow fast enough to protect the peas. 

They are a great attractant, but getting them to any height has always been our problem.  With the larger plot, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I'll let you know how things go as the season progresses.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:15 pm

I used Antler Kings Fall Winter Spring mix which has winter peas in it. Was the best thing we planted the amount of deer we saw was great and the deer were nonstop eating on that plot.. Pick up the winter peas and plant them the deer will love it.

Skinner Creek Stalkr

Postby Skinner Creek Stalkr » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Do deer feed on peas during the same period as beans or is it a late season attractant?

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management