Crossbow or Compound?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
dadof3upatree

Crossbow or Compound?

Postby dadof3upatree » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:51 pm

I would appreciate some feed back folks on this one. I have a severely screwed up disc in my back which the doctors want to remove. Replace it with a bone donation and then fuse 3 together. They tell me I am looking at about 4 months total recover time if I have the procedure done.
I'm starting to have alot of pain drawing my bow lately and just tying my shoes is a chore. I have been a die-hard bow hunter for close to 20 years now and always felt I would never use a crossbow. It just seems to much like cheating having the string fixed at ready position. I also never thought I would have trouble drawing my bow.
What do I do? I know I can get the permit for the crossbow. If I don't I may have to miss this years bow season. What would ya'll do? Thanks for any input!!
May God Bless You As He Has Me

DeerCamp

RE: Crossbow or Compound?

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:09 pm

I love using the compound bow. My thoughts are the same as yours. However, I have always felt if I were to get injured and the crossbow was one of my choices, I would use it. I feel that hunting is a privlidge and I really enjoy the time I get to do it. I would rather use the crossbow then take a chance hurting myself even worse that I already am using the compound. if you are having trouble tying your shoe I would say go ahead and get the permit. You never know what could happen. Good luck to you, and I wish you a speedy recovery.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:49 pm

i think your injury qualifies for a disability crossbow permit,what the regs in your state say?if you can get it go for it.and keep trying with the compound.you can always drop the poundage to 35 they also sell a item called the draw lock for compounds.again its all about the regs.sorry to hear your that hurt as someone who suffers from several bad disks and nerve pain i totally relate to your situation ,hey least its warm where you are try hunting in 0 or colder with back issues[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:35 am

Dad of 3,

So sorry to hear about your misfortunes. If you can get a crossbow permit for this season, and that is the only way you will be able to hunt, by all means look into a crossbow. The crossbow is a good short-distance tool for hunting. I just returned from a bowhunting summit down in IL where we shot all the new compounds and crossbows for 2009 and some for 2010. While the crossbow is dead-on out to 30 yards, I had problems with groups beyond those distances. I can shoot a compound much farther than that (45 yards), and the compound has much better KE at those longer distances.

Some of the new crossbows are quite pricey, but Barnett does offer a package that I believe is less than $400 for the bow, arrows and a quiver. Check around on-line for best pricing if you choose this route.

I hope your injuries heal quickly, and good luck to you this fall!

Dan

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:43 am

If it means not hunting, then I'd certainly try the crossbow, budget allowing. 

If you're drawing a heavy bow now, you might also try lowering the draw weight to something more manageable. 

I don't envy you your situation, best of luck whatever choice you make.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:09 am

I'd definitely go with the crossbow to keep hunting.  Try the old pawn shops too...they are full of them around here.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

bowbrown

Postby bowbrown » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:14 am

Sorry about your situation:( I love my compound and my longbow but I do use a crossbow during late season when the temps are down. I use to always say that I never wanted to use a crossbow until my father in law gave me his old one and I tried it in the late season. January is the only time I use it, but if I was in your situation I would get the permit and go hunting because hunting with a crossbow would be a hell of alot better than sitting in the house looking at a compoud that you cant pull back. Take advantage of ability to hunt with whatever you can and dont beat your body up more than you have to.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:22 am

Back on Feb 19 they took a disc out of me at C-5/6 but in a donor bone graft and a plate. I am still rehabilitating, trying to get back lost strength and fine motor control in my right arm and hand.

In NY you can only get a CB permit if you also are so injured you need a breath controlled release mechanism. You can however get a Draw-Loc permit. I would hunt with a CB until ready to draw my bow but CB's are not permitted in NY because we NY bowhunters are petty, uninformed fools.

The draw loc works well, but will take some getting used to. I believe it lets you retain the advantages of your own vertical bow. It is pricey but way less than a good CB outfit. Oddly, the Draw Loc people have not developed their design for use with a drop-away rest. Their only option was a two prong launcher style and I got sick of it. My bow tech has just developed a retro-fit mod to accomodate QwikTunes new model 360 rest.
I just picked it up, but I am already pretty pleased. It seems like an excellent compromise. As I was the guinea pig, he has not decided what he will charge for this work but he is highly skilled and fair to a fault.
If any are interested I can put you in touch with him.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:49 am

but CB's are not permitted in NY because we NY bowhunters are petty, uninformed fools.
is that really necessary?
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:22 pm

If I was injured I would use a crossbow, no doubt , before I would miss bow season in Alabama. When they legalized crossbows for everybody a few years back, I bought a recurve and a compound crossbow. I practiced and tried to use them during hunting season but i did not like it so they are collecting dust in the closet. Maybe one day my wife will use it or my grandkids will like it.  

Next

Return to Off Topic