Crossbow or Compound?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
dadof3upatree

RE: Crossbow or Compound?

Postby dadof3upatree » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Thank you all for the well wishes and all the useful information. In Missouri, all I need is my doctor to sign off on the permit and I qualify for the crossbow permit. I'm pretty sure I am gonna go for it. Better to hunt with a crossbow than not at all. Plus I promised my 2 year old boy I'd kill him a bow buck this year. All three of my kids claim my deer when I shoot them. I have heard of the draw-loc and it may be help full for some situations but the way I understand it from my doctor I will actually be unable to even draw the bow after the surgery. The biggest, well, one of the biggest issues I have is paying for the crossbow. I will be out of work for quite some time. Plus, I do construction for a living and times a very slow here, as they are in most of the country. I will more than likely be selling or trading one of my 2 PSE's to get a crossbow. I'm just glad I have 2 of them, although, it will be very hard to part with either. Thats life I guess. I'm still so very blessed. Again, thank you all and God bless.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:18 pm

get well soon but dont over do it
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:28 am

It's your choice, and no one can tell you what is in your heart.

If you love to HUNT that much, then it would seem to me that you will hunt with WHATEVER weapon you can still use ethically and to the best of your personal abilities. I know I would/will.

As far as the compound/crossbow dilemma, just let me say that as a recurve shooter, I find your "dilemma" amusing (before I get disemboweled here, I'm NOT, repeat NOT, referring to your physical condition. I'm falling apart also, and I know what you're dealing with and have asked myself the same questions), as your tricked-out compound bow is MUCH, MUCH closer to a crossbow than my stripped bare, instinctively shot recurve is, along with all the other superficial reasons why some think that,

COMPOUND=GOOD, CROSSBOW=BAD.

Ultimately ALL of them, stickbow, compound, crossbow, are still just a stick and string, that kills with the same projectile, which is a razor sharp piece of steel that doesn't explode or go "BOOM". They all are subsonic, and are still SHORT RANGE WEAPONS. Everything else after this is just human egos, which have no real bearing on anything, other than to muck things up.

At the end of the day this is just recreation, which is supposed to be fun. If it's no longer fun, then stop doing it. That's one of the reasons why I started with a recurve 7 years ago. Shooting my compound simply wasn't fun anymore. It was boring, so I did something different. It doesn't make me better, or more successful (if you define "success" as a body count, which I stopped doing years ago). It's not what everyone else should do either, or want to. But I don't castigate or demean others for their legal choices either, as long as they strive to only attempt to kill game that is within their own personal effective range.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the very best at it and....GOOD LUCK!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:44 am

Ultimately ALL of them, stickbow, compound, crossbow, are still just a stick and string, that kills with the same projectile, which is a razor sharp piece of steel that doesn't explode or go "BOOM". They all are subsonic, and are still SHORT RANGE WEAPONS. Everything else after this is just human egos, which have no real bearing on anything, other than to muck things up.

At the end of the day this is just recreation, which is supposed to be fun. If it's no longer fun, then stop doing it. That's one of the reasons why I started with a recurve 7 years ago. Shooting my compound simply wasn't fun anymore. It was boring, so I did something different. It doesn't make me better, or more successful (if you define "success" as a body count, which I stopped doing years ago). It's not what everyone else should do either, or want to. But I don't castigate or demean others for their legal choices either, as long as they strive to only attempt to kill game that is within their own personal effective range.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the very best at it and....GOOD LUCK!!!

Very well put WW,
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:44 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

but CB's are not permitted in NY because we NY bowhunters are petty, uninformed fools.
is that really necessary?

Which are you referring to, the truth of the matter or the bluntness with which I stated it?

The first is always necessary. The second, well maybe not...[:)]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:03 pm

I guess only your entitled to an opinion the rest are uniformed fools,gee i wonder why you cross gun guys face so much resistance 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Hmmm....crossGUN?  When did they start using a self contained explosion to propel the arrow with, thereby eliminating the string to store the energy of the propulsion?

I really need to get out more, as the last time I was in an archery store, all the crossbows I saw still had limbs and string.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:41 pm

yeah mounted on a rifle stock .lets do some comparisons  shall we http://www.newyorkbowhunters.com/New_Folder/xbow.htm

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:39 pm

ORIGINAL: JOEL

I guess only your entitled to an opinion the rest are uniformed fools,gee i wonder why you cross gun guys face so much resistance 

Joel.

You seem a little ticked. If you carefully read my post you will notice I think I said "we" NY bowhunters. If it isn't in there rest assured I included myself in this fraternity we call bowhunting. If you're not part of the exact demographic I was referring to, I apologize. If you are, I take it back[:D]

And as for any attitude or remarks of mine that you allude to as contributing to CB resistance, you know doggone well that that is a bunch of horse pucky. I have read your posts. You know what you're talking about. You know the deal regardless of where you stand on this issue. The resistance is about a few who are louder, and desperately need a life. it is about power. It is about self righteous elitism. Look at the recent poll numbers on this very forum. It is sadly, the same as our government, anti gun factions, anti hunting groups,etc. A few who wish to control the many who just want to be left alone to live our lives in freedom. That is why we are often not as loud. We are busy trying to do just that.

If I struck a nerve, again I'm sorry. At least I think I am...

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:58 pm

Yes, well said Woods Walker, and thanks for the well wishes. I'm almost sorry I brought this up in the forum though. Such strong opinions. Lets talk about something less intense like politics or abortion!!!LOL Remain calm guys!!
May God Bless You As He Has Me

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic