Jackson County 170 class typical

Sailfish

Jackson County 170 class typical

Postby Sailfish » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Did ya'll read the article about that 170 class typical taken by a hunter with his bp rifle I think in November (can't recall for sure)?
Very neat story, but I really liked the part about his "stand site"

He brought a bucket and sat on it.

Kind of what/how the stump sitters were doing it for years.

[:)]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Demoderby4

RE: Jackson County 170 class typical

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:22 pm

No i haven't heard unfortunately. Where did u read the article? I would def. check it out! I love hearing stories of big bucks from MI! It doesnt happen very often but it's good to know their a few out there [:D]
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

tnt1960

Postby tnt1960 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:11 am

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

No i haven't heard unfortunately. Where did u read the article? I would def. check it out! I love hearing stories of big bucks from MI! It doesnt happen very often but it's good to know their a few out there [:D]
Matt, did you see the article from the Detroit News last fall about the buck that was taken from the U.P.? If I recall, it was just shy of the state record. It was huge. He even had a picture of it on his trail camera. He thought his buddies were playing a trick on him when he first saw the picture.
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:24 am

Tim,

Yes i believe i did read about that deer, i don't remember specifics but it was huge! I think someone posted something on it on this forum somewhere if I'm not mistaken.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:25 am

He brought a bucket and sat on it.

Kind of what/how the stump sitters were doing it for years.

My first half dozen seasons were spent sitting on a milk crate, with my back against a tree!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:44 pm

ORIGINAL: paulie
My first half dozen seasons were spent sitting on a milk crate, with my back against a tree!

Last year the farmer in our hunting area never got his corn out. Acres and acres of corn around, no reason for the deer to move their normal patterns.

I saw nothing!!

So one day I got a collapsible camp chair, a moving blanket, and my rifle and got up under a big bush along the crick and the cornfield row.

I didn't see anything that day, but it was a very kewl experience.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:36 pm

I havent heard anything on this one.. Im gonna try to google it. Ya the buck shot in the UP was from the Newberry area.I agree it's great to see some monsters coming from out state! I wish the state would set up some sort of QDM thing.. I really enjoy what they are doing in the UP. You gotta have 3 or more on one side to shoot it. In a few years there's gonna be some real nice bucks up there.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 am

Sailfish,
This is a simular story.  Guy's been hunting 30 years, stumbles into the woods with his bow, sits down on a log and arrows a 170 class.  If I was him I'd by a lotto ticket.
http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Articles-i-2009-01-01-189734.112113_Oakland_Co_12point.html

This is the buck from the U.P. near the Scenie area.  Guy was so intent on shooting the buck he shot through the frosted up plexiglas window of his box blind in hopes he would at least hit the buck.
http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Articles-i-2009-01-01-189733.112113_UP_produces_record_book_nontypical_15point.html

There are approx. 1.8 million deer in Michigan at the start of the deer season and about 750,000 hunters.  The odds of killing a P&Y class buck in Michigan are approx. 1/5,000.  These are some nice bucks for sure but very few bucks, in compoarison to our neighboring states, ever reach the lofty scores of B&C. 
In the southern lower penninsula, where 1/2 of the deer reside and 2/3 of the hunting pressure is applied, bucks can be hunted with a firearm for 33 days/year.  It amazes me that a ANY buck could run that gauntlet long enough to grow a 170" rack.

Big [font=arial]T[/font]

3tail

Postby 3tail » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:14 am

I think we need to go back to a one buck rule here in michigan and also take some more doe. in jackson county  our buck to doe ratio is way out of wac. and yes I do hunt doe myself.

Return to Michigan