Red or White?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
3tail

RE: Red or White?

Postby 3tail » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:24 am

I have always been told and also read that the deer prefer the white over the red.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Where I live we have both white oak and red oak. But I'd guess that the red oak outnumber the white oak 10 to 1. And the white oak don't seem to be as productive, so most of the acorns I find are red oak. Maybe the gypsy moth infestation of 20 years ago did in a lot of the white oak.

Everything I've ever read says that deer prefer white oak over red oak because the red are more bitter. (Actually, the same is said to be true for turkeys, but turkeys swallow them whole. go figure.)

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Acorns from the red oak family are more acidic than the white giving them a bitter flavor, but they are more hardy and more tolerant to less than ideal growing conditions than the white oak family. Both are great and hold there place in the whole scheme of things, but for me I look for something in between like a chestnut oak that exhibits the best of both worlds the hardinest of a red oak and the flavor of a white oak.    Quercus Montana best of both worlds.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:17 pm

they favor white...it is like candy....every year that the white oaks drop on the property the bucks flock to get them...it is the #1 food in my opinion...

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:49 am

I have heard that deer perfer white oak acorns right off the tree, but because the red oak acorns are so acidic, deer will let them be until they have mellowed before they are eaten.  That way, it gives deer the chance at two different acorn crops, one early & one late.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:50 pm

In my neighborhood, there are gobs of white oak acorns early in the season, but they are mostly gone by the start of rifle season.  The majority of my productive stands, therefore, are overlooking the other varieties.  In short, the white oaks bring them in and the red oaks hold them. 

What brings me a banner year is when the pin oaks are still dropping going into the 2nd weekend in November.  It's happened now twice in 8 seasons, and  it caused a dramatic increase in deer activity on top of my ridges both times.  What seems to cause it is unseasonably warm temperatures.  I remember the pin oaks dropping in mid September when I was little.  If there is anything to this whole Global Warming hooplah, I'm for it.  I'm going to be like Drew Carey and stand out with my can of freon. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Based what i read and have been told ,white over red.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

GAbowhunter

Postby GAbowhunter » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:20 pm

I have both in my yard and deer prefer White over Red..

If you realy want to know why white over the red, just eat one of each and you will see ..

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign