Decoying Deer

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Goose

Decoying Deer

Postby Goose » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:37 am

Who will be using a decoy this year?
What are your tips and experiences using decoys?
Please share your thoughts and we all can learn from each other.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Goose

RE: Decoying Deer

Postby Goose » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:00 am

I recently bought the new Easy Buck by Carrylite after using my brothers for the last couple of years. I have used decoys for the last couple of years and have had some great encounters using them.
My brother shot a nice 10 pt last year on Nov. 1st over a decoy in a standing bean field. I also had a great encounter with a nice buck but both of his beams were busted off right after his brows. The shot opportunities with that deer were incredible. He came across a 4 acre bean field all puffed up and ready to rock.
I personally cant wait to get the decoy out in late Oct.

Some of the stuff that I have learned while using a decoy:

- The decoy itself has to be absolutely scent free (use latex gloves when handling)
- If I use scents such as dominant buck I will either spray it on a branch underneath the decoy or a scent wick hanging from the decoy.
- For a buck decoy,  have the decoy quartering to you. For a doe decoy, have the decoy quartering away from you. Reason for this is that you want the deer to approach the decoy so that the end he wants to deal with is facing you. For a buck that is the decoys head and for a doe it is the rear end.
- I place my decoy out about 20 to 25 yards because in a perfect world the deer will circle the decoy and head to the business end.
-It can be a good idea to set your decoy up about 100 yards away from where you are gonna hunt so that you are not trying to put it together where you are hunting, then when you get to your location you can just stake it in the ground and spray it down.
-The deer should be able to see the decoy from a long distance, this will help the deer not spook when they first see it.
-Also, keep in mind that some deer will react negatively to the decoy, so don't think it is a no lose situation. If you are after younger bucks they may spook and want nothing to do with the decoy. (Although I have had spikes come up and challenge the decoy)
- If you use scents and calls with a decoy, you are using all three of their senses to your advantage. Hearing, smelling, and seeing.
- The best times for me in WI have been Oct. 20th through Nov. 10th (using a buck decoy)

There are many other tips and some of mine may be wrong, so please chime in and share your experiences!

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:06 am

Goose good topic as I was thinking about getting one myself.  However, I am not sure where I would use it.  I don't have big open spaces that deer can see it from a long distance.  Has any one used them in a more cover up area with any sucess?
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:30 am

I used a decoy for the very first time last year.  I bought a Bobbin' decoy, and I believe Carry-Lite is the company, not 100% sure though.  The head and tail moves up and down and side to side with the wind.  Had some good success with how the deer reacted to it last year.  Want to hopefully utilize it more this year...I won't be using it though probably until mid/late October.
QDM!

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:31 pm

anyone have advice on using doe decoy?  limited success.  Once last year bow hunting set her up, hit the can(too early) looked up before I was set up and a buck was right in front of me. would have been nice to have the bow in my hand. And before anyone says anything, I don't need advice about having a bow ready, got that. 

bowhuntingbiker

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:42 pm

last season I put out my 3-D target without the antlers on it during the rut. I put a bottle of doe- in- heat under her and opened it. I had a spike come to her, not knowing what to do, and had fun calling to him! But a nice 8 point came in and when he got a whiff of that bottle, he turned and that was the last thing he did. I will be using mine again this year!

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:29 pm

I would say that the best time to use a doe decoy is during the breeding season and even post-rut when the bucks are looking for those last does to breed.
I do not have a lot of experience using a doe decoy, but know a couple of guys who have shot bucks over them.
I think you will get more negative results from other does while using a doe decoy, but it can pay off if you try.
You could also do a doe and buck setup with the doe bedded and the buck "guarding" her. This will give the impression that the doe is in or near estrous and the buck is tending her, making other bucks to want to "take over".
Jake

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Buck decoys are all I really ever had success with.  Great fun!  Sometimes I go bedded doe and standing buck... this has worked as well. Play the wind and add a little scent in the area to spice things up. Go two bucks and add the rattling antlers and maybe the big boy will show up!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Ive had luck with them in a field..Im going to try to get another decoy out, so I have two of them in the field. I have one decoy thats laying down that can bea  buck or a doe. I am going to take the antlers off it, and put another decoy in as a buck standing right behind her, waiting for her to get up.. I feel that if a big buck see's this, it will really tick him off and have him come on in. Also, dont over use the decoy,make sure the wind is in your favor... ANDDD Make sure you use a lot of scent killer on the decoy.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bowhuntingbiker

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:57 pm

I had no does come in on my set up, so, I cannot say as to the effectiveness of it.

Next

Return to Best Practices