Anyone else having problems finding turnip seed

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
msbadger

Anyone else having problems finding turnip seed

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:21 pm

I always put i my rape and turnips in the month of Aug......today I did a telephone search for best prices and NO purple top turnip seed and hard time finding dwarf essex rape seed......

Ended up with the rape seed and had to buy Bonar rape seed as well...then hopefully 1hr and a half away I maybe able to get Applin turnips at a 2.00 a lb increase over the purple tops tomorrow...the Bonar was 4.95 a #....geezz

I've never had a problem finding turnip seed ...everyone said that turnips went fast and ppl have had them in the ground all summer...and they've been planting rape... canola and mustards...I know it's been a cool summer here in N.Y. but what gives?

Goose

RE: Anyone else having problems finding turnip seed

Postby Goose » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:07 pm

I didn't notice that here in WI, did you try Welters in Iowa, from what I hear they are a great seed company.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:24 pm

They are great and I do use them...excellent customer service ..but shipping was killing me...so I decided to go local...imagine my surprise...It's really early here to be planting that kind of stuff ....but they said ppl have had the turnips in all summer...deer never touch ours until a frost and rape seed I'd think would end up going to seed ...Our Bow season does'nt open until Oct 17th...thats 13 weeks away

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:05 am

Shipping costs can nearly double the price of small orders. 

I finally talked to someone knowledgable at the local grain company.  In the past I'd ask if they had stuff and the answer was always no.  This last time I asked, the guy pulled out a book and said he could order it, no additional shipping charge to me.  I asked to look at the book and it had everything in it I was asking about in the past.  At that point I kind decided it was an early Christmas and put in a pretty good size order.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

bucktale

Postby bucktale » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:51 pm

I just bought some turnip seeds from Deer Creek Seed. They are in northern Wisconsin. The least you can buy is 10 pounds. It was more than what I needed but now I should have enough for the next couple of years. There phone number is 1-877-247-3736. Give them a call to find out what it would cost to ship them. They where purple tops. Hope it helps you out and good luck in getting the big one.
Dave

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks guys...well I got the rape seed local and bit the bullet and put 2 orders in one with Welter and one with wth tail....and all and all it would have been fantastic deals.... if I had just ordered from them from the get go! What a major head ache I caused my self....

I'm going to put some time in and really research seed companies ...though I like Welter....and put an add in the paper looking for ppl to start a co-op with....we'll discuss what we want to buy amounts and share shipping cost.....one year I got totally burned on buying burnnet seed and this year turnips were a bust and what they did have was 7.00 a pound...

Well I just disced up final woodland plot....Wht tail secret spot is going in that...480ft x 8-10ft...with all our rain.... it's still dry and get lots of shade...will do a light over-seeding of rape and rye grain as well

Still waiting for the complete die down of two turnip plots before I disc them....seed will arrive at right time....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:24 am

Speaking of which...do any of you have seed co-ops in your areas....other than QDM or WTF (wild turkey federation)...those inititals just did'nt look right.....lol

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management