Welcome North Carolina hunters!

Ben Sobieck

Welcome North Carolina hunters!

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:06 am

This new thread is for anyone who hunts or has hunted North Carolina. Enjoy!

Ol Blue

RE: Welcome North Carolina hunters!

Postby Ol Blue » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks, I hunt Rockingham, Caswell, and Guilford counties in NC.

Todd Loftis

Postby Todd Loftis » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:13 am

It is nice to hear from some Tarheels. I too hunt guilford and Rockingham Counties. We have a ton of deer here and getting better quaility bucks every year since the state has put a two buck limit in the piedmont region. look foward to hearing from some more Tarheel deer hnters out there.

Haywood

Postby Haywood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:05 am

I hunt Montgomery County (piedmont region) and I think the two buck limit is a great regulation. We also have a lot of deer but in my opinion there are way too many does. My goal this year is to harvest as many does as my tags allow. A major problem in one of the areas I hunt is the buck to doe ratio, which is way out of whack. The big boys never show because they simply don't have to. They wait until dark to find their mates because there are so many does to choose from. The bucks don't respond to calls because there is little to no competition over breeding rights due to the abundance of females. There are some great deer in the area as evidence by trail camera pictures and sheds. I have worked to resolve this problem the last couple of years and hope that my hard work will pay off this season. Are there any other NC hunters with this problem?

I hope everyone is as excited as I am for the start of the 2009 season in a little over a month!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:37 pm

I hunt in Durham, Orange, and Granville counties.  The lease where I hunt the most is in Granville.  We have a good sized, healthy herd with an over-abundance of does. There are some big bucks around here that almost vanish when the guns start going boom.  Granville County also permits running deer with dogs, which I don't like. It stirrs the herd up too much and does not let you develop a pattern for any one particular deer, because dogs can change everything so drastically. Many guys who hunt over dogs tend to be less selective in their buck harvest.  If it has antlers, it will probably get shot at.  Yes, dogs do create deer movement when it would be minimal, but to me, it is not worth it.  I have hunted over dogs before, and it is a little like fishing with a net versus rod & reel...it is very productive, but not as likely to offer the one man against one deer challenge I prefer.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

thirtywide

Postby thirtywide » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:42 am

I have also hunted the piedmont section of nc most of life until hunters as a group start thinning out the does and get the ratio to what it should be deer activity will stay pretty much as it is now it is not bad to shoot a doe a lot of hunters in nc still feel that way.

dmac1019

Postby dmac1019 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:09 am

Hi
I hunt in Northampton and Halifax counties in NC. We have a huge amount of deer.

Haywood

Postby Haywood » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:58 am

Thirtywide and dmac1019 great to hear from you both. Keep us updated on how your season is going once it starts here in a few weeks. Happy hunting.

nc hunter

Postby nc hunter » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:43 am

i hunt halfax county. some guys were hunting there yesterdy and seen 3 to 4 does.

nc hunter

Postby nc hunter » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:46 am

i have a club right on the nash and halfax county line thats where the guys were when they seen the 3 or 4 yesterday

Next

Return to North Carolina