Anyone a member of QDM?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Demoderby4

RE: Anyone a member of QDM?

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon May 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Have any of you guys read "Quality Whitetails"? is has the QDMA logo on it, so i figure it was either written by the organization, or endorsed by the organization. I'm currently reading "The Ultimate Guide the Planting Food Plots" by John Weiss and I am going to start "Quality Whitetails" after the Weiss book. Just looking for some feedback on it if you guys have read it, it looks great can't wait to start on it! Weiss's book has been pretty good so far and a lot of good info so far!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Tue May 19, 2009 2:23 am

Demoderby4, Quality Whitetails is published 6 times per year by QDMA and is part of the $30.00 annual membership fee.  As stated in the past, I really like it and is full of good articles. The April issue, as you probably know, has quite a bit on food plots and in general most of the authors do that "stuff" for a living, so they know what they are talking about.  I live in upstate NY, so those written for down south plots doesn't always apply to the colder climates, but I find them interesting and apply what I think makes sense.  I think getting this magazine 6 times a year is worth the membership $30 membership fee.  If you want to see what articles have been published in the past, go to QDMA.com.  If you see something you like, you can order the magazine directly from QDMA. Image If you are into food plots another good book that is very popular with QDM'ers is Quality Food Plots.  It is a book created by QDMA and is authored by Kent Kammermeyer, Karl Miller, and Lindsay Thomas Jr.  You may be able to borrow this from your local liberary, buy it from QDMA, or a local book store.  Hope this helps & Good luck, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Tue May 19, 2009 5:35 am

hunt4ever,
I think demoderby4 is refering to the book "Quality Whitetails" by Miller and Marchinton.
It's a GREAT read and one I reference often.
https://www.qdma.com/store/details.asp?id=60&catid=5&catname=Books%20and%20Booklets

Big T
"Fear is interest paid on a debt you may never owe" - Unknown

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:19 pm

hunt4ever

My apologies, I should of specified authors, the book was i my car last night and me being a great thinker on my feet didn't even think about "googling" the book for authors [8|] but QDMAMAN is correct, that is the book I am refering too, not the magazine's by QDMA. Thanks for the reply tho! I am def. looking forward to getting my first copy of the magazine!

Thanks for the feedback QDMAMAN, it looks like a great tool/read, and I can't wait to get started on it.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Wed May 20, 2009 2:58 am

Thanks QDMAMAN for getting me straighten out, I guess I have killed to many brain cells over the years.  I should have known that Demoderby4 was not talking about the magazine.  Speaking of the mag, I tried the Crock Pot Venison Loin (page 70) this weekend and it was great.  With a few cold ones, I thought I died and went to Heaven.  Tom Mac 

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Wed May 20, 2009 3:42 am

ORIGINAL: hunt4ever

Speaking of the mag, I tried the Crock Pot Venison Loin (page 70) this weekend and it was great.  With a few cold ones, I thought I died and went to Heaven.  Tom Mac 

Life is good![:)]
H4E,  Are you anywhere near Schohary Co.?  I've got a friend there and I've been out a couple times turkey hunting, beautiful country.

Big T

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 am

Big T, I am about 25 miles from Schoharie County about 18 miles North of Albany in Saratoga County.  I hunt up in Greenwich, Washington County which is about 45 miles from my home.  Been to Schoharie lots of times and your right, it is beautiful country, also pretty good whitetail hunting, I understand.  Speaking of beautiful country, check out the attached that were taken during hunting season last fall.

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Thu May 21, 2009 1:54 am

H4E,
I wasn't there in the fall to see such grandure as you've posted but, that certainly looks like the terrain we were hunting.  ABSOLUTELY beautiful.  Not what most folks picture in their minds when they think of NY.  It's a well kept secret.[;)]

One of the guys I hunted with was Dean Haskins, he's a pretty accomplished turkey caller and has won several calling championships in the NE.  Do you know of him by chance.  The other friend is Dee Meese right in Schoharie.

Big T

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Thu May 21, 2009 3:48 am

Big T, Sorry I can't say I know Dean or Dee.  Although I enjoy watching turkeys, I don't hunt them.  I stay pretty busy the year round with food plots, building tree houses and stands, and getting photos of critters with my scouting cameras.  I have to report that I have no big foots photos or Elvis sightings as of today. Image

I grew up in Maine and spent a lot of time in the woods and Schoharie and Washington Counties remind me so much of what I remember as a kid.  Lately I have been spending 2 days a week working on expanding my 8'X6' Hunt4Ever Sanctuary another 8'X6'.  I hope to get this completed sometime in July.  [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:37 am

Yes!  Great information.  Great advanced strategies.

Dan

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management