how do you set buck harvet goals?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
cdn1

how do you set buck harvet goals?

Postby cdn1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:36 am

Just a question. I will be hunting some new ground this comming year and have started a bit of a deer management program. Food plots, trail monitoring,  general hunting ground improvements. There will be a group of about 4 of us hunting this 100 acres.
  How big or old is old enough of a buck to harvest... realistically?  Right now I've been trying to come up with some ground rules for the group but not hunting the area before, it's difficult to decide the age class. Hoping for more MRI (most recent information) this summer from my trail cams, observation etc..
  Really thinking I should let each hunter decide for themself, at least for the first year.  The only criteria I think would be no fawns, concentrate on the does until we see the areas  "BUCK" potential.  
any suggestions, opinions or advice 
Cdn1

ranwin33

RE: how do you set buck harvet goals?

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:46 am

It depends on what you eventually want to see - and how long you can control the property.  If it's yours forever, then you might make your goals a little more aggressive than if it's just yours for a couple of years.

It would also depend upon the experience of the hunters.  If you've got people hunting who have never shot a deer, or haven't shot a lot of deer, you may want to be fairly free with what people can shoot.  If you all have shot a lot of deer, then more aggressive goals should work.

You are probably right letting each hunter decide for themself, no one likes to be told what to do or feel like someone is trying to tell them what to do.  At the end of the first season, maybe get everyone together, compare experiences and bring up the idea of managing for larger deer.

The rule on does, if you're in an area like we are, is shoot as many as you can, it probably won't be enough.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Have fun, don't let rules take away the best part of hunting.
You'll have to see what's in the area and go with what you will be happy with along with the others.
Expectations and reality are 2 different things, learn the difference and base your decisions off of that.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:09 am

The best is to base it on age.... not points, spread, score or whatever. I don't know where you hunt, but a realistic goal to reach is to shoot only 3.5 year old or older deer.  I disagree on your doe harvest ideas. You shoot only mature does and you will see very few mature bucks. My advice is to pick out a few doe fawns and harvest them, especially if you want to harvest some early.

WIQDMA

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:23 am

I think 3.5 can be good in some areas but in others it can be unrealistic.
I think you first have to find out what is in the area and look at previous harvests and sightings. Talk to other people in your area and gather some information, spend some time watching the fields and see whats really in the area.
Above all, be happy with what you go with and don't try to over achieve and make it more frustrating than fun.

Theres a good article in this years Land Management issue (summer 2009) titled Land Management on a Shoestring by Joseph P. Hogan pg.53, that illustrates this topic well.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:40 am

There are not too many areas that with some education of neighbors that a 3.5 year old can't be a good goal. This is the attitude that sets people back. It may take a few years, but you will get there.  Several in my hunting group now will only kill 4.5 or older..... never thought I would see the day!!  Don't set your goals too low. Odds are one good "neighbor" meeting and you will learn a lot in a hurry.

Best of luck
WIQDMA

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:21 am

There are a lot of factors that play into this. In addition to knowing more about the herd and hunting pressure in the area, I would consider everyone's experience level. Is your group made up of experienced hunters, or are there young people who have never taken a buck? Another question is how does the need/desire for meat match with the availability of doe tags?

I would say however, from a QDM standpoint, protecting yearling bucks is a good idea. If you make exceptions for new hunters and take a laid back approach when people make honest mistakes, that should be fairly reasonable. After a few years of waiting for 2.5's you can adjust as needed.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:30 am

This post is in reply to qdmwi

That's all good and fine if you have neighbors that are on the same page as you and that is their goal as well or you have a ton of land to manage.
All I am saying is that don't set your goals to high and then not enjoy it. I went 6 years without killing a buck with the bow, I was and still am fine with shooting does and letting smaller bucks go.
Some people might not enjoy doing that, and therefore, I think they should be realistic and keep hunting enjoyable.
In my opinion unless you own the land nobody has the right to tell other people what caliber of bucks they should be happy with.
Just my 2 cents
Jake

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks for the replys. I will be talking with the guys shortly, all of us have harvested a few deer and I think that all of us would like to shoot a good buck sometime.  I want to set some goals, not rules so much... so that in few years one of us may get the opportunity but I still want it to be enjoyable.  My son will be comming for a few days in the gun season. He will be free to harvest what ever he feels good about. No goal should be more important than the first timers experience.
  As for the rest of us we have all shot bucks from 140 to spikes. I am gonna make this a learning year 1st) the areas buck potential and 2nd) each guys personal goal as to what they think is a quality deer. Hopefully we wont have to have rules.... We will have to see 
Cdn1

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:29 am

Sounds like you have a good grasp on it.
Jake

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management