Deer hunting, how to you carry your gear?

fr0sty

Deer hunting, how to you carry your gear?

Postby fr0sty » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Just wondering what you bring into the field when muzzleloader hunting and how you carry it.

adirondackhunter

RE: Deer hunting, how to you carry your gear?

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:53 pm

I carry some items in a fanny pack,but i carry speederloaders,brush ,nipple wrench,cap remover, in a possible bag.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:40 pm

In a "possibles bag" I carry, speed loaders (pyrodex pellets (2 per speed loader tube), bullet and primer), breech/nipple plug pick, bullet starter/palm saver, moist patches to run down the barrel between shots, mag-lite, pocket knife, compass, map, extra ear plugs,  a roll of tape to mark trails. In my backpack/fannypack -- everything else, but specific to muzzle loading everything needed to take the gun down and clean it (breech plug wrench, brushes, antiseize, pretreated cleaning patches, pretreated oil cloths/patches).

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:34 am

Good info, thank you both.

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:34 am

I wanted a bag that was small, cheap, quiet and easy to use. The surplus communist AK47 magazine pouches work perfectly. I cut out the divider in the middle and attached a cotton surplus SKS sling to use as a shoulder bag. Closure is a leather strap and the bag is very quiet. It is rugged and pretty water resistent as well.

It has two pockets on the outside, one holds a small tube of anti sieze or a lighter (or anything else that size) perfectly. The other pocket is great for a few bundles of cordage for hauling stuff up or whatever else you use it for. I always find a use for it in the woods.

In the main pocket I have:

- Small first aid kit
- Hunting license, notebook, pen, sharpie
- Compass and GPS
- Fixed blade knife
- Surefire 6P LED light
- Spare batts for light and GPS
- Orange bandana
Muzzleloading gear:
- Two tubes of premeasured powder.
- Small block of oak w/ 1/2" holes drilled in it that hold 4 roundballs with patches as a "speedloader"
- Capping tool
- Various rod attachments
- Cleaning patches and small bottle of solvent
- Bullet starter
- Nipple pick
- Nipple wrench
- Small Screwdriver to fit the various screws on the gun

It's enough to get me by with a few shots from the gun, possible maintenance/repair duties, and tracking/gutting/directional tools.

The bag and sling can be found for less than $5 each and they work great. I have a larger bag full of more gear for real cleaning and repair, these are just the items that I may need while I'm out there.

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:42 pm

It surprises nobody listed a sandwich bag or piece of saran wrap and a rubber band to put over the end of barrel . You never know when it might start raining . 
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

singleshot

Re: RE: Deer hunting, how to you carry your gear?

Postby singleshot » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:19 pm

MoDeer wrote: It surprises nobody listed a sandwich bag or piece of saran wrap and a rubber band to put over the end of barrel . You never know when it might start raining . 

Black electrical tape over the muzzle keeps out rain. Plus you'll be surprised at the other uses you'll come up with.

Wanderer

Re: Deer hunting, how to you carry your gear?

Postby Wanderer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 am

I cut the thumb or finger off a pair of those "examination gloves" that you see the doctors wearing for exams, It works great.

Return to Muzzleloaders