Scopes, what's your favorite & why?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Cut N Run

Scopes, what's your favorite & why?

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:01 am

Sorry if this topic has already been covered.

I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes, especially the 2.5 x 8 for deer hunting. The size, clarity, and compactness are reasons I like them so much.  Those scopes come with a lifetime warranty, which pretty much causes them to sell themselves.  I have one on both of my Model 70 Featherweights and another one on my T/C Black Diamond .50 cal. muzzleloader.  The one on my .308 had dots ground on the reticle, so it can be held dead-on out to 400 yards (it has another dot for 450, but I don't have a range that far).  Most of my deer are taken inside 75 yards and my farthest ever was a head shot on a doe @ 185 yards. I had an M-8  4X Leupold that was on one rifle for 20 years and never needed adjustment.  I replaced it with a 2.5 x 8 because my vision is not what it was when I was younger. I gave the M-8  4X to a friend who had a Simmons scope on his rifle that caused his shooting to be erratic at best. After installing the Leupold M-8, he was amazed at how accurate his rifle could be. 

I also have a Swarovski 3 x 9 that will go on the T/C Encore I am saving up for. That Swarovski is incredibly clear and solidly built. I had it on another rifle that I sold a few years ago, but decided to keep the glass.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

adirondackhunter

RE: Scopes, what's your favorite & why?

Postby adirondackhunter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:22 am

I like the Simmons 44 scopes and now i have Nikon pro.Like them both.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:25 am

CNR...I always used bead sights on my guns and last year ...Mr. B got me a new rem. 243...only other rifles I shot before that were SKS and AK 47....well the 22's and my 50cal Blk pwder...any how we got a Nikon pro hunter and I sighted it in after Ackleys put it on the gun for me....It's a great scope as far as I'm concerned took a 6pt with it last year...[;)]

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:29 am

I love Leupold products but they tend to be a little pricey so I have found an alternative with the Bushnell Banner line of scopes. For the money they are clear and bright in dim light, so far I have one and my son has one and we both love them. I've also heard good things about Nikon. I've been to Bass Pro and looked through some of those high end pricey scopes but honestly I don't see the benefit when you mostly hunt inside of 200 yards.

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:35 pm

My favorite scope is a 56mm. Kahles because it works so well in low light situations, early and late.
Stump sittin since 1981

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:27 pm

I agree with most that Leupold is hard to beat, from a pure cost standpoint, the new line of Nikon scopes are very nice scope for the money, especially the scope made just for slug guns. Good luck this year!

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:20 am

I have a bunch of Bushnell Banners in 1.5-4.5x.  They seem to be just the thing for  deer inside 100 yards-- where I do 99% of my hunting.  I also have a 4-12X Banner on one bolt gun that does most of my long-distance work.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:44 am

Bushnell Elite 3200 - I compared it to the 4200 but the 3200 gave me a brighter, clearer picture.  Probably just the way my eyes work. 

There is a Busnell store near where I work, and I can get factory refurbs at a very good price with full warranties so the price is right.  It has served me well and is a vast improvement over the Simmons that came with my Savage rifle.  At least I shoot better with it.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:15 am

I like and shoot mainly Burris myself.....I'm told its Leopold glass but who knows?  I do love zeiss and swarovski...but I have never owned one.  Just shot through on the range and a couple exotic hunts in TX.   For now Burris does everything I want it to.  I do have a Swift on my 17 that is also an excellent scope.  I'd thro rocks at anything made by tasco due to clarity and fogging.  The same for the lower end bushnells, although the upper end bushnells are giving leopold a run for thier money (more pricey though).  If you could find one an old redfield widefield is the best brush scope ever made for field of vision....hard to find though and most folks want what they are worth for them.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

bowbrown

Postby bowbrown » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:50 am

Shoot with nikon now, I have 2 now and when I get enough money I will have one on my shotgun and one on my muzzleloader. I also have a pair of nikon binos and looked through my buddies more expensive binos and think mine are pretty comparable. I have had two bushnells go bad on me and I am not interested in goin back.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo