South Central NY Info.

Sageboy

South Central NY Info.

Postby Sageboy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Greetings,

I would like to bowhunt in the area of zone 8 next year and need to get some info regarding lodging.  I have been looking on the web for local motels, lodges or cabins for rental but I can't seem to locate any that are hunter friendly.  What I mean by hunter friendly is a place to store a deer if lucky enough to take one.  I don't think what I have been finding (Econo Lodge, Microtel, etc.) have the means to store/ hang an animal.

Having said that does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay?  Not looking for anything fancy.  I'm even open to camp sites but would prefer some sort of cabin or B&B that welcomes hunters.  What towns are actually located within Zone 8?

Thank you in advance,

Joe

fasteddie

RE: South Central NY Info.

Postby fasteddie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Zone 8 is a large chunk of Real Estate . Narrow it down and GOOGLE some of the Chamber of Commerces for information .
Semper Fi !

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:05 pm

what ed said and contact the dec office for that area they love to talk shop[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Nikhxle04

Postby Nikhxle04 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18 am

You should look at this website. They build these small transportable cabins that can be used not just for hunting lodges but for a million other things. http://www.monolithic.com/topics/cabins

Headrush

Postby Headrush » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:59 pm

I've hunted on top of Mt Washington in Hammondsport for 20 years. Beautiful little town and there is literally over 7,000 acres of State land between:

"Birds Eye Hollow" 3,400 + acres http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/37725.html

"Urbana state Forest," and "Pigtail Hollow" combined are 3,600 + acres
http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/34963.html

I hunt about 1/2 mile from Mt Washington State Forest too, which is 400+ acres but has and interesting terraini feature that brings 3 ridges together to form a "Y" with a stream in the bottom. Check the Arials. DEc will even send you a booklet for Region 8 if you call and it has maps of them all plus details about them.

I know its not much (no lodging info) but if you follow Alsheimer's rut forecast and hit this part of the state at the right week, you're gona love it. Steuben County has consistently been top 2-3 in the state over the last 5+ years for bucks taken per square mile. GOOD LUCK!

Return to New York