mowing first year clover

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
eheuer

mowing first year clover

Postby eheuer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:59 am

we are checking our whitetail imperial clover and extreme for the first time since the mid may planting. do the plots need mowed if they are 12 to 24 inches high? i heard it really sweetens the clover if you cut the tops. if it doesn't need mowed yet, when is it time to mow. if it makes any difference, i am in southern ohio.

ranwin33

RE: mowing first year clover

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:58 am

If you can mow it without cutting too low, then I'd go ahead and mow it. It should improve the plot, but if warm temps are coming it might be best to hold off and not stress the clover too much. We try to time our mows with cool temps and rain in the forecast.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:03 am

I agree with ranwin33, if its dry don't mow it, but if its wet and over 10 inches I would mow it down to about 6 or so.
A lot of people mow it when it flowers.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:21 am

Good advice here so far, I would definitely mow only before a good chance of rain is forecast!

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Go ahead and cut it.... maybe 8 inches or so of remaining clover.  THis will produce young shoots and deer will be in the plot quickly.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:26 am

I plant clover with a first-year annual cover crop like wheat, sunflower or some such thing.  Wet or dry, I don't mow the first season, but then hay it the next year.  It doesn't do it any harm. 

The answer is yes, mowing the first year will improve it like the other guys said.  However, leaving it alone until the first haying next year is also just fine. It certainly won't hurt it.

BTW: One of the nice things about clover that I've found is that it seems to thrive on being mowed.  Other stuff, dwindles when it's mowed. On the right clay soil clover kicks into high gear.  An example is my own front lawn at home.  I had a water main break two years ago, and I put the local hardware store's  mix down after they dug up my yard.  There was some Ladino clover in it.  Now that part of the lawn is almost 100% Ladino-- even the fescue is crowded out.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:04 am

I mowed my perennial clover plots just once and the critters have kept them at 6-8 in all summer...once I went tru and weed wacked any taller weeds and grasses before they went to seed....problem now is one nice plot that is used alot...has a fungus on the red clover....starts out as little brown spots and then consumes the leaves....this is a first... but rain every other day will do that I suppose...thinking of mowing it low and hoping for the best...if it dries out enough to do...rain expected all week....tough getting other 2 turnip plots turned over and finished ...half done on one ...any thoughts...all other plots are great

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:45 am

Good answers here by all.  I'm in the second year of my alpha rack plus and we mowed it last year when it got to be more than 10 inches high down to 6 inches of so, during non-stress times.  We just mowed it for the first time a few weeks ago and I was just out there last weekend and man is it blooming.  Goose, I know you planted some alpha rack plus, how is that going?  I'll have to show some pics.  Everytime I go out there I forget my camera.  Been happening to me all year!
QDM!

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management