Antler restrictions

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
whitetailtime

RE: Antler Restrictions

Postby whitetailtime » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:00 pm

I think it would be a good idea. There are too many hunters in Virginia who have if its brown its down additude. If you are going to shoot a small buck, why not shoot a doe. Let's give these little bucks a chance to mature. I think it is worth a shot.

kabrevcus

RE: Antler Restrictions

Postby kabrevcus » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:06 pm

Yes I think we need it.  boy it sure would be nice to have bigger deer....but where to begin.  I think the restrictions on what can be taken would need to be decided on a county by county basis, not statewide....

Agreed, youth rules would be different and more lenient.....

Then probably, you'd have different requirements for archery v. gun, etc....

I could go on and on....

An old guy in our camp had kind of gone soft on the hunt in the last 15 years in his old age, and had'nt really been "after it" if you know what I mean. He hadnt shot a buck in that amount of time (15+) years. This year we joked that he better shoot anything he could, as he needed to fulfull his "continuing education" requirements, (ie, prove he still could bring something home) Well, he did, he shot a 1.5 year 4 point, and he couldn't of been happier-and the camp felt the same way for him. Its stories like that we all have that kind of make each situation different and I guess should make us careful of what we wish for....more restrictions. I'm 38, and right now, I'd have no problem to stack up the does, and wait for only 3.5+ year old bucks....but when your old man and you haven't got time to wait for such it can be a different story.
For Shenandoah County - where I hunt, 2 Bucks  would probably be the right call....I'd have to check, but venture to say that is the current game law...

"Lets get this straight. If anyone around here is going to do any stealing, its going to be me!"
-Granpa Kabrevcus

JOEL

RE: antler restrictions

Postby JOEL » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:35 pm

this is my favorite excerpt from the DEC :"DEC believes that interest in antler restrictions is primarily an issue of hunter preference, and it is clear that hunters are divided. There is no biological urgency to implement a mandatory antler restriction program in the proposed deer management units, and hunters who wish to adopt an antler restriction policy or practice may already do so on a voluntary basis. "perfect if ya want to let em walk ya can if ya want to shoot em ya can.Democracy in action the people voted and thats that
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

willseyville

Postby willseyville » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:23 pm

i'm glad they did'nt pass the bill i always felt hunters can make up their own mind on what a good deer is. i peasonly will let young bucks walk and take older does.[:)]wayne

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Antler restrictions would be fine . Let the little ones go and let them grow . I will take a doe before a spike any day of the week !
Semper Fi !

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:03 pm

With have a restriction that no buck with less than 6 points can be taken on our land. Mainly because certain people only come around during hunting season and never to help with anything that needs to be done there. For me, I would rather wait for an older buck than shoot a young one. I see enough does anyways and they sure eat well.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm satisfied with antler restrictions in PA. Most hunters don't score as often, but we all kill older deer.

"DEC believes that interest in antler restrictions is primarily an issue of hunter preference, and it is clear that hunters are divided. There is no biological urgency to implement a mandatory antler restriction program in the proposed deer management units, and hunters who wish to adopt an antler restriction policy or practice may already do so on a voluntary basis."

My take on that policy is that on properties that are heavily hunted, the hunter who chooses to shoot larger deer has far fewer opportunities because most of the bucks get killed at 1½ years. I'd rather kill more mature bucks, but here in PA so few of them existed. In some areas 90-95% of the buck harvest was 1½ year old bucks. It might take a lifetime in those areas to have an opportunity at a 3½ year old buck. (Also, some biologists would disagree with the "no biological urgency" part.)

I live 4 miles from New York and have hunted there for 4 years. My impression (where I have hunted) is that hunters put less pressure on the deer in NY than we do here in PA. But -- I have yet to shoot any deer in New York. The only antlered buck I've seen had both his antlers broken off. The only time I've had an antlerless tag was 2008, and we had either monsoon rains, or snow up to my waist. The hunting was pretty tough.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Since i stop killing little bucks(2002) ,the smallest buck i have killed has been an 8 pt. I don't have aproblem with antler restrictions.

Hunt to live , Live to hunt

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 pm

I have killed bucks every year since 2002.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:23 am

I would be all for a restriction.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management