Bino's

DeanoZ

Bino's

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:33 am

Hi all I'm looking for a decent and affordable pair of compact binos.  Was hoping someone could recommend the right type in terms of zoom (10x42, 10-12x25, etc)  Right now I have a cheapy 10x42 Bushnell Powerview  I managed to get from Bass Bro for about $30 on sale.  I hunt mostly woods and with these binos i just can't seem to get a clear and veiwable sight picture, plus their rather bulky. I really don't want to spend more than $100-150 depending on the bino.  Thanks all.

Squirrelhawker

RE: Bino's

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:55 am

I recently bought a pair of 8X32 Pentax as part of a promo offer. They are nice and much better than the tasco and simmons I have used before.

IMO bino selection can be tough due to the many factors involved- usage, terrain, cost, personal vision, and sheer number of choices out there being just a few. 

I would seriously recommend stacking pairs in the store so you can compare them at the same time.

My personal observations:

You can often get a surprising amount of performance from lesser known brands.

Pay attention to details like strap replacement, eyecups, etc.

Unless you're a Navy SEAL, camo finishes cost more and are unnecesary.

Take the time while in the store, to adjust each models diopter to your own eyes.

Optics of any kind are a classic example of a "get what you pay for" item but keep an open mind while shopping.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:52 am

Thx for the feedback Squirrelhawker, I'll definitely look into the Pentax's.  i actually did stack a few upon a recent visit to Bass Pro and I recall i liked the Bushnell ones the best...just can't recall the exact model so next time I'm up that way I'll check them and the Pentax's out as well.  like i said I hunt mostly woods so my sight picture is limited beyond 100yrds.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:08 pm

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Hi all I'm looking for a decent and affordable pair of compact binos.  Was hoping someone could recommend the right type in terms of zoom (10x42, 10-12x25, etc)  Right now I have a cheapy 10x42 Bushnell Powerview  I managed to get from Bass Bro for about $30 on sale.  I hunt mostly woods and with these binos i just can't seem to get a clear and veiwable sight picture, plus their rather bulky. I really don't want to spend more than $100-150 depending on the bino.  Thanks all.

Squirrelhawker made some good points. I'll add a few thoughts.
[ul][*]Get binos with BaK4 glass prisms if at all possible. You'll have noticeably better clarity and brightness. But they will be hard to find at $100-$150. You won't be sorry if you have to spend a little more to get Bak4 glass. (BK7 prisms are inferior.) The prisms are the glass element that turns the image right side up and correctly oriented left-to-right.
[*]Get "fully multi-coated" lenses, not "fully coated" or "multi-coated." Fully multi-coated means all surfaces of all lenses inside and out are coated with multiple layers of coating to reduce reflection and loss of light. It makes a big difference. ("Fully coated" might mean the lenses have only one coating, and "multi-coated" might mean only the exterior surfaces are coated.)
[*]Get binos with objective lenses that are as large as you are comfortable with. They'll be brighter at the end of the day. My favorite pair is 8.5 power with 50mm objective lenses. Yes, they're bigger, but often worth it -- especially in low light. Once in a while I carry a smaller pair or a compact pair. [*]Anything over 10 power will be hard to hold steady without support.
[*]Lean toward rubber-covered binos. They're quieter and take the bumps better. Don't steer away from camo, but don't spend extra for it.
[*]Don't get all elitist about brands or country of origin. Good binos are made everywhere and under many little-known names.
[*]Remember that most brands have different quality levels -- kind of a good-better-best marketing approach. Know where your choice falls in that line-up. A low-end Brand Name might not be as good as a high-end Brand X. My 8.5 x 50 are Alpen Apex. (Apex is the middle line.) It will be hard to find Alpen in stores.
[*]Evaluate everything with your own eyes, outside a store and in dim light if possible.
[/ul]Be patient, and good luck.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Steve,

thanks for the feedack.  Would you be so kind as to recommend a pair of compact binos based on your specs, that is a good value?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Save your money, and then buy a pair of REAL binoculars. Good binoculars are expensive FOR A REASON, and the old saying that you "GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" is never more accurate than when you are talking about binoculars.

I bought my Ziess 10X40's 25 years ago, and they have proved to be the LEAST expensive pair of binoculars that I've ever owned, if you consider all the use they've gotten while delivering outstanding, 100% trouble-free performance.

I wear them on my chest in a harness, and I NEVER set foot in the woods without them. They are a stillhunter's most valuble tool.

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:52 am

I use Leupold 10X.  But, as Woods Walker stated, you get what you pay for.  Another excellent tip from Woods Walker, whatever kind you buy, get a bino harness.  The harness will provide you with a whole new bino experience!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks Woods and Tonyb.  Noted and I'll broaden my search, but unfortunately I have a limited budget.  Got the harness already, just need a decent pair of binos to complete the ensemble.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 pm

go to opticsplanet.com[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:49 pm

I bought Bushnell excurison for about $200,10 x 42 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Next

Return to Misc. Accessories