homemade attractants

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
ksredneck

homemade attractants

Postby ksredneck » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:15 pm

I was just wondering what kind of deer attractants people have made at home? I know I can't use them in my state but I'm gonna be using them for scouting purposes?

ranwin33

RE: homemade attractants

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:00 am

Food is the best attractant - corn or soybeans will work.  You can also cut the bottom out of a plastic peanut butter jar and then nail the lid to a tree and screw the jar back on.  That will last a little longer than corn.   Apples would also be a good choice.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

lookn4deer

Postby lookn4deer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:18 am

I was just wondering what kind of deer attractants people have made at home? I know I can't use them in my state but I'm gonna be using them for scouting purposes?
[/quote]

We have used the rock salt for a water softener.
You can get a 40lb bag at wal-mart for usually under $10.
Dump it near a deer trail or on an old stump.
[quote]ORIGINAL: ksredneck

bigreddar

Postby bigreddar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:23 pm

corn is real good. a jar of peanut butter works real good. i have heard of some folks mixing mineral salt with rain water and put it out.  this is my first time on here hoped  this helped...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:30 am

We have to be very careful about that here in N.Y....so I've asked the DEC about a bunch of my ideas....One I know works great is ....I take a mesh bag and put a couple of half rotted apples in it......tie a long string around the top (all washed and sprayed with scent free stuff first). Then a 1oo yrds from stand I put the bag on the ground and stomp the bgg's out of it...drag it to the stand and hang the bag on a  high limb 15ft from stand....deer follow the smell to the stand and give a perfact shot when stretching to smell the empy apple bag.....dragging the bag deposits all but the skin on trail in the form of juice. 

arpy00

Postby arpy00 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:43 am

I have never heard (or seen) peanut butter used! Please give me some more details.

bwhntr

Postby bwhntr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:19 am

Take a plastic jar of peanut butter and cut the bottom out. Take the lid off and use a drywall screw, fasten the lid to a tree or post about 3 feet off the ground. Screw the jar onto the lid, and you have an instant attractant with peanut butter.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:32 pm

I have friends that have done that.  Deer LOVE peanut butter.  Make sure it's legal in your area though...Best of luck!
QDM!

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:12 pm

Kind of surprised that know one has mentioned urine!

Seriously, it is free and I have never once seen a deer react adversely to it.

I use it by making my own man made (truly) scrapes in front of my trail cams.  All it takes is a boot for scraping down to the dirt and a lack of modesty and presto you have a man made scrape that deer WILL investigate.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

ksredneck

Postby ksredneck » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:57 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: drdaven

Kind of surprised that know one has mentioned urine!

Seriously, it is free and I have never once seen a deer react adversely to it.

I use it by making my own man made (truly) scrapes in front of my trail cams.  All it takes is a boot for scraping down to the dirt and a lack of modesty and presto you have a man made scrape that deer WILL investigate.
[/quote

do you mean human urine?

Next

Return to Best Practices